Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Unlocked Verizon phone on Koodo?

I'm currently in Winnipeg going to be attending University. I have unlocked my old DROID RAZR M(XT907) phone, was originally for Verizon (US Carrier). It's been unlocked to use any US Carrier (CDMA and GSM), my koodo sim card fits in it. Am I allowed to use this phone instead of the one I got when I signed up for koodo?

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If it works, of course you're allowed to use it, Corton. However to my knowledge Verizon phones won't work with Canadian bands... so don't be disappointed if it doesn't. However nobody will forbid it!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

If it works, of course you're allowed to use it, Corton. However to my knowledge Verizon phones w...

Verizon phones with a SIM slot work in Canada, providing they have the right frequency band. I've used Verizon phones in the past. They're CDMA/GSM hybrid models. The CDMA ESN is locked down to Verizon, but the GSM radio is unlocked for use outside the US.
How will I be able to tell if it's not compatible? Will everything just not work, or will certain things not work? Thanks for such a quick reply!
Userlevel 5
Corton, If you remove the back panel and battery in your phone, or have access to its IMEI, then you can type it into the below webpage and it'll let you know! http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-started-with-koodo/sim-cards-and-non-koodo-phones/how-do-i-know-if-my-phone-will-work-on-the-koodo-network
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Not Jeff wrote:

Corton, If you remove the back panel and battery in your phone, or have access to its IMEI, th...

I've had that tool return many IMEIs as unusable, yet the phone worked perfectly well.
I put it in there, but it comes up with the wrong phone model.
Userlevel 5
Then you probably are unable to have it work with Koodo. There is a chance that your device might work anyways. My recommendation is to go visit your local store and have them try a SIM card out in your phone. That's a foolproof way of finding out. Good luck!
Alright, thanks. I may go do that.
According to GSMArena, it supports 3G 850/1900 MHz, so it will work with Koodo.
I guess all I can do is just try it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Corton wrote:

I guess all I can do is just try it.

It will work, without LTE. It has the required 3G bands. I've used 2 Verizon phones on Koodo so far (Nokia Lumia 928 and Nokia Lumia Icon).
I tried it, and it works. Thanks.