Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Unlock code not working

Userlevel 3
Paid for an unlock code for my Samsung Galaxy S6 but it didn't work. Tried multiple times with different Sim cards from 2 different carriers. Each time I was prompted to enter code but each time it said network error. What does this mean and will Koodo give me my money back or another unlock code?

29 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Gerry,

If the unlock code is not working I would give Koodo another call and explain to them the issue. If you can, call from a different phone so that the representative can help you as you attempt to do the unlocking. 
Userlevel 3
I called Koodo and they told me that I had to contact Samsung,which I just did. There is nothing Samsung can do considering Koodo has the phone carrier locked. So,why,if Samsung has nothing to do with carrier locked phones,was I told to contact them?
So effing frustrating being told different crap!
I paid Koodo $35.00 for an unlock code and when it didn't work they tell me it's a Samsung issue and when I call them(Samsung) they tell me it's a Koodo issue! What are you supposed to believe? Or Who?
And Koodo are closed now so I guess I'll have to wait and get the run around from them again tomorrow. Unless a Koodo employee sees this and decides to give me some answers!
Anyone have anything similar happen to them and have some advice for me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Gerry Hanlon wrote:

I called Koodo and they told me that I had to contact Samsung,which I just did. There is nothing ...

If first level is going to give you the hot potato treatment with the phone OEM you're going to have to be firm and insist on speaking with next level / manager. You got the code from Koodo so Koodo will have to make sure it is working.
Userlevel 3
Gerry Hanlon wrote:

I called Koodo and they told me that I had to contact Samsung,which I just did. There is nothing ...

Yes Goran,I found it very strange to be honest, that the Koodo rep told me I had to call Samsung and have the matter taken care of with them!
Koodo sold me the unlock code so what do that have to do with Samsung?
Samsung rep told me they have nothing to do with unlocking carrier locked phones!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Gerry Hanlon wrote:

I like to think that CSRs with Koodo don't have a work culture of being like that, so Id chalk it up to the individual thinking that was the case, or section of the centre. As I and others have said, call back, be firm and polite about seeing someone who can help you. Take it to a manager if it comes to it.
Userlevel 4
The very same thing happened to me. Call Koodo from a different phone, as Mathieu said. and tell them what happened and that you expect your phone to be unlock by THEM. My phone was a Samsung too. You will be driven into the Android menu and your phone will be unlock. If the agent does not know how to do it, ask to speak to a technician, a supervisor, someone who knows how to do it.
Userlevel 7
Silly question time, have you tried using the phone with the other sim cards? Does the phone prompt your for a network unlock code?
Userlevel 3
Chad Burr wrote:

Silly question time, have you tried using the phone with the other sim cards? Does the phone prom...

I know it didn't work Chad,Samsung rep verified that the Galaxy S6 was still carrier locked to Telus!
(I thought I answered you comment from your post but it's answered below)
Userlevel 3
Chad Burr wrote:

Silly question time, have you tried using the phone with the other sim cards? Does the phone prom...

Hey Chad,a little off topic but gotta ask if you know...
Marshmallow is coming out in a few days for my S6,do you know if I unlock my phone before then will I still get the update?
Userlevel 3
I tried unlocking it with a Bell and a Rogers sim card and both times I was prompted to enter the unlock code,which I did and It kept giving me a "network error".
When I spoke with the Koodo rep,I confirmed the code he gave me and the one I had written down were the correct one,and it was! So I was entering the right code given to me.
I did everything I was told I had to do but it just didn't work!
Userlevel 3
Samsung told me this has nothing to do with them and everything to do with Koodo!
It's so frustrating because I wanted it unlocked because I bought the S7 and am selling the S6. But missed out on the sale because it wouldn't unlock!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Gerry Hanlon wrote:

Samsung told me this has nothing to do with them and everything to do with Koodo!
It's so frustra...

Samsung is correct. Koodo is the one that needs to provide the unlock code. OEMs will never provide unlock codes for carrier-locked devices. Please call back as others have stated. Someone at Koodo has to find resolution for you.
Userlevel 3
Gerry Hanlon wrote:

It's so frustra...

I'm actually on hold now waiting for a rep to take my call! 
Userlevel 3
Gerry Hanlon wrote:

It's so frustra...

Apparently,they gave me the wrong unlock code! Got the proper one now and will try to unlock later this evening. Hope it works!
Userlevel 3
Ok so I got a new unlock code but it isnt working either!
Prompts me for the unlock code,I enter it and it says network error.
This is really getting frustrating now! Lost out on 2 sales because of unlock code not working.
I attempted it about 10 times total with 2 different carrier sim cards!
Could there be an issue with the s6 itself?
Userlevel 3
Is it still not working? I have to ask is the phone originally from Koodo cause I saw further up you had mentioned it was locked to Telus. The reason I mention this is when unlocking a phone you need specific information (IMEI#, model and carrier). 

So potentially if you were using a telus s6 on koodo (and requested the code through koodo) when the request for the code is being processed it might be mixing up the carriers (choosing koodo when it should be telus). Meaning to get it right you ought to be requesting a code from telus. 

Just a thought not sure if it's right or not, but I know when buying a code online if you choose the wrong carrier you'll experience the same issue your having. 
Userlevel 3
Andrew wrote:

Is it still not working? I have to ask is the phone originally from Koodo cause I saw further up ...

Hi Andrew,You just got me thinking about something.
A few days after I bought the S6 from Koodo,I dropped and cracked my screen,stupidly while putting on an Otterbox case! So eSecurital sent me a new one! Could that phone have originally been a TELUS phone?
Userlevel 3
Andrew wrote:

Is it still not working? I have to ask is the phone originally from Koodo cause I saw further up ...

It's possible, I'm not sure how the warranty system works if they interchange the devices. Maybe having the phone off will work as that's how I've always done it, also be careful cause some devices have a limit to how many times you can enter an incorrect unlock code before becoming hard locked.  
Userlevel 3
Andrew wrote:

So,the 1st unlock code they gave me,which was wrong,for some other type of Galaxy,could have hard locked it because I put that code in so many times! Ugh! This is getting exausting. LOL
I'll have to try it tomorrow with the phone off!
Thanks so much for your help. I'll post if that works!
Userlevel 3
Hi Andrew,
No it still isn't working unfortunately! I know that I said Telus aways up a bit but I just think that the Samsung rep I was talking with used that because it's Koodo's parent company.(no clue why he said it instead of Koodo)
My phone was purchased from Koodo (not Telus) I got the unlock code from Koodo as is right.
I have to try again with the phone completely off,insert any carriers sim and turn on phone,when prompted for the code,type it in and hit unlock,if it doesn't unlock then I have to take to Koodo kiosk (ugh),this from a rep I was chatting with tonight.
Also I may add that I may have been doing it wrong by having the phone on while inserting the different carrier sim,but I still got the prompt to type in unlock code. So when I can get a chance to try it tomorrow starting with the phone being off i'll see if it works then,if not, I have no clue whats wrong!

Userlevel 7
Is the rep asking for your IMEI or are they using the one on your self serve. Check the one on self serve against the phone you are using . My guess is they are different make sure the rep knows the correct IMEI
Userlevel 3
Chad Burr wrote:

Is the rep asking for your IMEI or are they using the one on your self serve. Check the one on se...

I gave the rep  my IMEI from my S6. And I think they did apply it to the right one because I do get the prompt to enter unlock code when I put the sim card in from a different carrier.
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Is the rep asking for your IMEI or are they using the one on your self serve. Check the one on se...

Any locked phone would ask for the code when a foreign sim is inserted. Where did you find your IMEI?
Userlevel 3
Chad Burr wrote:

I did that dial pad number that brings  it up. *#06#
Userlevel 3
Chad Burr wrote:

Chad,as for the Marshmallow update,will I still get the update in a few days if I do manage to unlock the S6 by then. I should I wait to get the update first then try unlocking again?