Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Unhappy Koodo customer!!!!!

Unhappy customer. On August 8th I signed up with Koodo as a new customer. I picked the Galaxy 3S as recommended by the sales person. The phone was fine until a operating system update 3 days ago. Since then the battery life is very poor. The unit is even very warm now not hot but warm. I checked facebook a couple times today and logged out. The battery was fully charged this morning and the battery beeped notifying me of low battery. This is unacceptable. And I find it suspicious that its just out of the 15 day return period.

10 replies

Userlevel 6
It's a Samsung issue, really Joseph. This would have happened regardless of which company you went with. And everyone has the same return policy anyways. That said this might be helpful resolving some of the issues. Let us know so we can learn from it as well. http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/387461-galaxy-s3-heavy-battery-drain-media-after-4-3-upgrade.html
Chris Petersens wrote:

It's a Samsung issue, really Joseph. This would have happened regardless of which company you wen...

I did what rikkster said above. Will wait and see what happens. Thanks everyone
If there were issues with this phone, the sales man should have told me. I would have gone with a iPhone. Still not impressed
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Joseph Robertson wrote:

If there were issues with this phone, the sales man should have told me. I would have gone with a...

You yourself stated that the phone was fine until 3 days ago. Unless the salesperson was psychic, I really don't know what they could've done.
Joseph Robertson wrote:

If there were issues with this phone, the sales man should have told me. I would have gone with a...

the point I was trying to make was, if there were issues with this model phone, the salesman should have known and steered me to a different one
Userlevel 4
Joseph Robertson wrote:

Joe, I don't think there are issues endemic to a particular phone model. Sometimes individual devices respond badly, or software on a specific device goes awry, it doesn't mean that every single phone of that model is a lemon. Often if there are widespread issues, they aren't known in advance.
Badge +4
Some Android OS updates can be problematic. In those instances, I would perform a hard reset to be sure that there are no remnants of the previous Android OS interfering with the current Android OS. Try a hard reset, monitor your battery usage and see if that helps. --- To perform a hard reset make sure the phone is turned off. Press and hold the Home, Volume Up and Power buttons. Keep all buttons pressed until the Samsung logo appears. When the Android system recovery menu appears, scroll down to wipe data/factory reset, by using the Volume down button. Press the Power button to select, then scroll to Yes--delete all user data using the Volume down button. Press the Power button. This will wipe the contents of your phone, but not your memory card. Press the Power button once again and the phone will reboot to the initial setup screen, the same as when you first bought the device. The Android version currently on your phone will also remain intact. --- If that fails, there are a few other options available. One: you can revert back to an earlier version of the Android operating system. Two: you can root* the device, install a custom recovery and wipe the Dalvik cache without removing your current Android OS. The Dalvik cache will store fragments of files from an earlier OS which could cause problems when running a new Android OS version. *Rooting the device voids the manufacturer's warranty; however the process of rooting is completely reversible. Three: if you're not interested in tinkering with your phone and just want something that works, you could try selling the S3 and get the phone you really want. Just some suggestions.
rikkster wrote:

Some Android OS updates can be problematic. In those instances, I would perform a hard reset to b...

Just waiting to see what happens. Did the reset you mentioned. Thanks
Userlevel 7
The battery life wouldn't have been much better on the iPhone. They're not perfect, either. Also, from what I just read on the forum post, apparently that's an SD card issue. Do you have a microSD card in your device? I didn't have any issues with my S III when I had it 2 years ago and I know a few people who still have it and theirs works fine. Or... It could just be some background process eating it up. First, I recommend you look at battery usage under settings. I don't remember the exact menu location but look for it yourself. Scroll down to the bottom and see what's using up all your battery. Try uninstalling any recently installed apps to see if any of them fix it. They may have been coded improperly. Then do me a favor and try this: go to Settings, then the device Tab, About Phone, and find software information where it says "build number". Tap on it rapidly until you see a dialog box saying "You're now a developer!". Then, go back to the about phone menu and go to the dev options. Go near the very bottom of the list where it says "Limit background processes". Select 4. Then start using your phone like normal again. See if that improves your battery.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The phone may be out of the 15 day return period, but it's definitely not out of warranty.