Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Uncontrolled data usage

Android update just used 780 megs of my data and i couldn't stop it. Now I have no data for the rest of the month. 

What can I do to stop this? Most applications you can go into data, into the app and hit restrict cellular data. this option isn't available for system updates. Can I get a data reset for this month and a way to prevent it from happening again?

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
In Settings>About Device, you can control OS updates so that they are not acutomatic and that they are done via wifi only.

Also app auto updates can be turned off in the Google Play app
you will need to be more specific, there is no setting there to enable / disable for data, or updates that I can see

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This is what I see in About Device

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This is in the settings for Google Play

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can also check out more info in Settings>Data Usage
none of my screens look like yours 😕 I will have to do more searching i guess because it updated when I hit wifi and now its android 7.

No chance at getting some of that data usage returned to my account?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ryan wrote:

none of my screens look like yours 😕 I will have to do more searching i guess because it updated...

I wouldn't count on it.
I am unable to send MMS now? That is supposed to be free. Is this a separate issue or caused by my lack of data?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ryan wrote:

I am unable to send MMS now? That is supposed to be free. Is this a separate issue or caused by m...

Did you disable your data by any chance? If you switch data off altogether, you can't send MMS either (it needs a data connection, though it doesn't eat up your data).
Ryan wrote:

I am unable to send MMS now? That is supposed to be free. Is this a separate issue or caused by m...

I haven't turned it off through the phone, but I did get a message from koodo that data is disabled until the new month. 
Ryan wrote:

That may have been a lie. I see that the data usage screen had a "data cap" toggle. I toggled it and it may be working now. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ryan wrote:

MMS needs mobile data to work, but it doesn't count toward your monthly limit.