Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Unable to register to a network in Europe

I'm using a Nexus 6P and I'm on the $45 1gb plan. Right now I'm in the Czech Republic and just turned on data roaming to try and connect to a cellular network. When I click on 'Choose automatically' from the available networks settings menu, I receive a message saying unable to connect to network. Please try again later. Is there a reason I'm not able to even register on a cellular network here? The reason why I'm looking to do this is because I bought the international text $15 Thanks!

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Someone reported that you can set things up using the Koodo app entirely on-line without need for texting. [Thanks to Jon Symons]. Go to your self-serve app, Plans & Add-ons, Get More Add-ons. There's two roaming add-ons you will need to activate. They're both zero dollars. [Thanks to Goran].

You can also connect in self-serve online. Enable international voice roaming and international data roaming then restart the phone. Some people have complained they can’t find one or the other add-ons by using the Koodo app on the phone itself. In that case, use your browser and connect to self-serve that way. Both are listed at $0 per month and are needed in order to make any kind of connection outside North America.

http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-long-distance-and-travelling/travelling

If you still have no service once you have arrived, switch to manual network selection in settings>Cellular Network Settings>Manual and do a scan. Try to connect to any networks that appear. If none appear then you're in an area where there's no network available. [Thanks to Chadwick].

To add to this, make sure your network mode is set to GSM/WCDMA/LTE (autoconnect). [Thanks to Dennis].

Don't forget to re-start the phone after making any of these adjustments.

Lastly, if it still doesn't work: Download Fongo, a VoIP app. They give you a real Canadian phone # and you can call anywhere in Canada for free, regardless of where you are - providing that you have a wifi connection. You can then use this to call customer service at 1 (866) 995-6636. If you arrive overseas and have no service, this may be the only way to speak to someone at Koodo. [Thanks to Ivan].

https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/international-roaming-plan-doesnt-work

Userlevel 6
Hey Derek, just confirming you don't need the "data roaming" on since that is only for data, and texting doesn't require data nor does the $15 plan have data included. Have you tried adding the voice roaming ($0) option through your self-serve account? If so, did you try the other ideas that were suggested by Bob? Keep us posted!