Koodo Community
Solved

Unable to receive shortcode SMS in Canada from the overseas bank

• 28 January 2021
  • 9 replies

Shortcode sms messages from an overseas bank are not coming to my koodo phone in Canada.

Fighting with this second day by now. Bank checked everything and said it’s all working from their end, the phone number is correct. They suggest to refer to the phone service provider.

Yes, good luck with this… No real person answers the phone, and callback is scheduled to happen in 10 hours from now !!! And if they just hang up on me - as other threads here suggest - where else I can turn ???

Other facts on the issue: I DO receive text messages from people’s private mobile phones in that country.

I also read somewhere that Samsung software could be filtering out some “unwanted” callers.  Where ? I checked blocked list - it’s empty.

I tried to reset network settings, turn off and on my phone multiple times - nothing works.

Anyone in the community knows what could be a problem ? 

Any help is really appreciated.

icon

Best answer by ainelena 29 January 2021, 13:14

Spoke with Koodo rep yesterday….

Both sides - the bank and Koodo - say everything is perfectly fine on their ends, however messages do not come thru.

After analysing all the details and comparing messages from other people and institutions on alternative phone/mobile operator, I myself came to conclusion that the issue is on both sides:

1. bank sends the confirmation sms without their phone number attached, indicating only the bank name in the field “sender”
  2. Koodo cannot accept messages from senders without phone number.

And NO, as you might imagine, neither side is willing to change anything in their process just for me  ….

And NO, there is no other way to send me verification code from the bank.

Very frustrating and unfortunate.

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Shortcode sms messages from an overseas bank are not coming to my koodo phone in Canada.

Fighting with this second day by now. Bank checked everything and said it’s all working from their end, the phone number is correct. They suggest to refer to the phone service provider.

Yes, good luck with this… No real person answers the phone, and callback is scheduled to happen in 10 hours from now !!! And if they just hang up on me - as other threads here suggest - where else I can turn ???

Other facts on the issue: I DO receive text messages from people’s private mobile phones in that country.

I also read somewhere that Samsung software could be filtering out some “unwanted” callers.  Where ? I checked blocked list - it’s empty.

I tried to reset network settings, turn off and on my phone multiple times - nothing works.

Shortcode messages are generally country-specific. That means you will only receive it if you are in the country where the bank is located at. It’s unlikely you are going to get it in Canada.

You might want to talk to your overseas bank and come up with another solution to deal with this problem. Perhaps they can send you email messages instead. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Do they know how to send the shortcode overseas? Maybe that's the issue.

Shortcode messages are generally country-specific. That means you will only receive it if you are in the country where the bank is located at. It’s unlikely you are going to get it in Canada.

You might want to talk to your overseas bank and come up with another solution to deal with this problem. Perhaps they can send you email messages instead. 

They are sending a real sms message, not a shortcode, I just spoke with bank’s rep, she said the sms gives you a confirmation code with full description what it is and how to use it.

She also said that she sees that the response from my mobile operator (koodo) says the message delivered.

I still do not receive any of those sms.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Which bank was it? did it have a page to list compatible carriers with their number?

For example, RBC has only supported Canadian and US carriers http://www.rbc.com/sms/en/ None of carriers from other countries was listed there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

They are sending a real sms message, not a shortcode, I just spoke with bank’s rep, she said the sms gives you a confirmation code with full description what it is and how to use it.

She also said that she sees that the response from my mobile operator (koodo) says the message delivered.

I still do not receive any of those sms.

You mentioned it was shortcode, which was why I thought they were sending you from a shortcode. If it was a SMS text, you would be receiving it from an actual phone number. 

If you are still having issues with receiving the text, you should try to schedule a callback again through Koodo Assist or send a message to a Koodo rep on Facebook Messenger or Twitter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It might be easier to get the bank to go through a different verification process.  The amount of guessing and checking for this SMS from this one bank is likely to exceed the effort of other verification methods

Both sides - the bank and Koodo - say everything is perfectly fine on their ends, however messages do not come thru.

After analysing all the details and comparing messages from other people and institutions on alternative phone/mobile operator, I myself came to conclusion that the issue is on both sides:

1. bank sends the confirmation sms without their phone number attached, indicating only the bank name in the field “sender”

And NO, as you might imagine, neither side is willing to change anything in their process just for me  ….

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That cant be true.  What if you didnt have a cellphone?  What if you were a non-texting senior?

Dennis, I am not sure...But first comes to mind - in cases such as you mentioned, one should not play into online banking, as it can be risky, but instead just go to nearest branch.