Koodo Community

Community

Solved

U.S. plans - shock free data here too please!

We recently switched our 3 phones to Koodo from Virgin mobile because of shock free data, ugh the overages! I have since found about a dozen other key areas that Koodo does better than Virgin. The only thing I liked about Virgin is when we went to the U.S. there wasn't any chance of data overages. Will Koodo be getting shock free data on their U.S. plans? Or, I would be happy to pay the extra $2 to get the data block which could be applied by Koodo immediately (by computer?) as soon the data in my US plan was used up. I will only get my wife and daughter a U.S. plan with data if there is a guarantee of not getting any overages. Thank you.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Dan.

Welcome to Koodo. Happy to see you like it here. I don't know the exact answer to your question, but adding the data block, will block ALL data and you do not want that if you desire to use cellular data. So no, the solution wouldn't be the data block unfortunately.
Not what I meant.  I wanted to make a suggestion to Koodo that if they couldn't offer shock free data on their US add ons, perhaps they could apply the data block as soon as the US data on your add on was used up.  If they could do it automatically by computer, it would act like shock free data. Otherwise, I won't give my wife and daughter the U.S. add on with data or they will surely go over and generate large overage fees.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dan wrote:

Not what I meant.  I wanted to make a suggestion to Koodo that if they couldn't offer shock ...

One of the challenges is the delay in reporting of use from the US carrier to Koodo. Although this is getting ever faster, it may not be sufficiently quick to meet the needs of data blocking at some point of consumption, allowing the user to go over on data before the information is received to turn it off.
Hmmmm, I wonder how Virgin mobile does it.  Again, I can list at least a dozen things that Koodo does better than Virgin but the one thing I really liked about Virgin is they didn't have pay per use data in the U.S.  Who would want that anyway? You bought data and when that ran out, data quit on your phone unless you bought more.  The funny thing is, the biggest reason I changed from Virgin to Koodo was shock free data.  I had overages at Virgin because they couldn’t keep your usage up to date on their own website for their own network within a reasonable time frame.  I went over but their website didn’t update for over 24 hours and it says up to date as of 4 hours ago.  Even the good folks at the Virgin store said this was the case, very poor.  I guess the best thing to do is watch my wife’s account closely when we go to the U.S. and when she is down to less than 100MB left, put on a data block so we don't go over.  Otherwise, add more data.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dan wrote:

Hmmmm, I wonder how Virgin mobile does it.  Again, I can list at least a dozen things that ...

We can only speculate how Virgin deals with their roaming partners (or how Koodo does for that matter - most of us aren't privy to this info). Virgin may simply cut off roaming data once the partner reports it and then them may just "eat" the additional cost.
Dan wrote:

Hmmmm, I wonder how Virgin mobile does it.  Again, I can list at least a dozen things that ...

My son is going to the US and he has a pay as you go.How do I add on US roaming for him to use his phone in the US. We went onto his Koodo profile but can't seem to find where we can add the US roaming.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Brenda, when will your son be traveling? US roaming is only available on monthly plans at the moment, not on prepaid. However, changes are coming in the near future..
Ranjan wrote:

Hi Brenda, when will your son be traveling? US roaming is only available on monthly plans at the...

Thank you he left today. So there is no way at all for him to be able to text or call without costing him a fortune is there
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ranjan wrote:

Hi Brenda, when will your son be traveling? US roaming is only available on monthly plans at the...

Unfortunately, his service will not work there while he is on prepaid. He can still access messaging apps, email, and other methods to communicate if connected to Wi-Fi.
Ranjan wrote:

Ok thank you
Ivan, good thought, I think Koodo would make more money by "eating" the overages for U.S. data than they would by not. For example, my wife and daughter will not get U.S. data plans until I am assured they will not be charged overages by accident.  Many other people may feel the same way.  If we had shock free data on US plans, we would all buy data plans not just talk and text only.  When I moved my wife and daughter from Virgin to Koodo, they got data plans (shock free). I wouldn't get them a data plan at Virgin, overages for sure.  Many people would not use up their data in the US plans. Nobody wants to run out and have to purchase more or go without. Some will go over and cost Koodo money "eating" the overage but how much revenue would Koodo lose by not offering this in the first place?  Will Koodo make more profit by offering shock free data on US plans but slightly less profit by eating some overages??