Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Turning off text notifications from Koodo for billing on Prepaid

How to disable the annoying messages at 5 am!!!!! technologically is super simple to enable users to manage their own preferences....

30 replies

Userlevel 1
You could try blocking the number lol
Yeap, but not really an option, my problem is more the time when they send messages...5 am in the morning is not appreciated neither by me nor my wife...
Userlevel 3
koodoimecascom wrote:

Yeap, but not really an option, my problem is more the time when they send messages...5 am in the...

Wouldn't turning the phone off help? Seems simple.
koodoimecascom wrote:

Yeap, but not really an option, my problem is more the time when they send messages...5 am in the...

pretty obvious right...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello there.

You can disable that option on self-serve under the message notification settings!
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello there.

You can disable that option on self-serve under the message notification settings!

You can do that from within a postpaid account. Unfortunately, the option to disable text notifications is not available in prepaid self serve, not sure why.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sadly, this has been requested for MANY years and it seems Koodo isn't in the least bit interested to implement it. It seems so easy to me, just wait sending the message till business hours... but it hasn't happened 4 years after the first time we requested it.

My solution is to enable "do not disturb" on the phone during the night with priority calls allowed only... at least I'll get some zzz that way 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Sadly, this has been requested for MANY years and it seems Koodo isn't in the least bit intereste...

This has worked well for me, but now that I'm sleeping in later in the morning, I have to remember to re-set the hours.  It's bad when my phone wakes me earlier than the cat!

Userlevel 1
Wait, you don't silent your phone at bed time?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Macadacious wrote:

There are instances I want it to wake me:
  • Family emergencies
  • Wake alarms
  • Tsunami alerts
  • etc.
So no, I don't silence my phone at bedtime.

Userlevel 1
Macadacious wrote:

Oh i see. Nvm then lol.
Do not sign up for Koodo Prepaid for seniors on dumb phones!!

Because of free txt, I put my aging parents on Koodo Prepaid. The SMS got so annoying and their bar phones don't have DND. Now I had to turn alert to Silent. Then this defeat the purpose of going Koodo Prepaid. The only real SMS needed was credit card expiry, the rest is just annoying.

Of course by requesting the ability to manage notifications is insane. This is Prepaid!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
ndc wrote:

Because of free txt, I put my agin...

I believe you can set specific ring tones even on dumb phones. Have you tried to set a silent tone for SMS from Koodo?

ndc wrote:

Yes. Turned silent and non-vibrate. Which means, seniors in my household are much more likely to miss SMS from us. Which means, might as well go with 7-11 for lack of free text.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
ndc wrote:

No, I meant a specific 'ring' tone specific to Koodo messages. The others would come through as usual.  Since you did not specify the phone you purchased for them, it is difficult to offer more suggestions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
ndc wrote:

I hear you, ndc - it's one of my HUGE gripes as well! However perhaps the only way in which to avoid waking up in the middle of the night is for your parents to leave the phone outside the bedroom... I know it's hardly a "nice" solution but it's better than having to wake up at 5am once a month....
ndc wrote:

@David: It's a LG C440. There's no specific ring tone mod per sender. Either all on or all off.

ndc wrote:

This is abuse from Koodo, They allow post paid customers to turn off notifications but not prepaid customers( like myself) It appears to contravene Canada's Anti spam laws and is probably illegal. I've reported it and you should do the same. Just go here http://fightspam.gc.ca/eic/site/030.nsf/frm-eng/MMCN-9EZV6S
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
ndc wrote:

Well Scott, notifications about important events (e.g. renewal of service) does not fall under spam, and I don't think you will get far complaining. There is nothing to stop you from complaining yourself, but I wouldn't incite others to do the same. 
ndc wrote:

You are correct about sending the notifications, but according to the canadian anti-spam legislation. Organizations that send SMS messages need to  allow users to manage those sms notifications. The same way they have to provide an unsubscribe link on emails.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
ndc wrote:

The anti-spam legislation only applies to CEM's, (Commerical Electronic Messages). "A CEM is any electronic message that encourages participation in a commercial activity, such as an email that contains a coupon or tells customers about a promotion or sale. That said, a message that includes hyperlinks to a website or contains business-related information does not make it a CEM."

Koodo sending a notification about billing would not fall under this what so ever.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
ndc wrote:

Also, companies with whom you have a business relationship are not subject to the anti-spam regulations.  If you have a  smartphone, you can set a Do Not Disturb period, so random events do not wake you.

ndc wrote:

Checking the official government definitions of  CEM and Comercial Activity here http://fightspam.gc.ca/eic/site/030.nsf/eng/h_00216.html 

The full excerpt is 

[i]Any particular transaction, act or conduct or any regular course of conduct that is of a commercial character, whether or not the person who carries it out does so in the expectation of profit.

The anti-spam legislation considers SMS to be electronic message and Koodo is a commercial company. Seems reasonable to me that any communication that they send out to a customer would be considered a commercial transaction.

ndc wrote:

And yes, Companies that you have a business relationship with are are included in the anti-spam legislation. What they get is implied consent, so they have the initial right to send you emails. But they still have to provide an unsubscribe mechanism. Here's the link http://fightspam.gc.ca/eic/site/030.nsf/eng/00285.html

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
ndc wrote:

You're stretching what the law says. Koodo is a commercial company, but the texts aren't commercial oriented, therefore do not fall under this.
I'll stop my case here as so we quit spamming the OP.