Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Trouble getting consistent phone service

Having trouble getting consistent service on my Galaxy S3. I bought this phone a couple weeks ago and I notice my service bounces around from 4 bars to 1 bar then 0 bars then back to 4. It's all over the place. It does this all day and a lot of the time when people try to call me it goes straight to my voicemail - my phone doesn't even ring. I live in a city so I should have really good service. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks in advance.

21 replies

I have the S3 and have not had these issues, but go into the search networks section (Settings>Wireless and Networks>Mobile networks>Network operators) and make sure you can find Telus/Koodo. I know on my S3 this feature takes a long time to find Telus/Koodo as well as Fido/Rogers but finds Bell really fast. try this and see if there is an issue
MarcusG wrote:

I have the S3 and have not had these issues, but go into the search networks section (Settings>Wi...

Tried that. No issues there.
MarcusG wrote:

I have the S3 and have not had these issues, but go into the search networks section (Settings>Wi...

hmmm if you can find the network it's notthe modem or carrier; could be other interference
MarcusG wrote:

What is "other interference"? Can you give an example?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
MarcusG wrote:

Large Satellite dishes, electric transmission towers or stations, any large devices that send out microwaves or electromagnetic waves. But this would affect all wIreless devices and not just yours.
MarcusG wrote:

Jason, While Denis has listed some great examples the current bandwith of those frequencies is not as bad from the days of the old 970 mhz phones. Basic items such as metal siding, concrete with some wire mesh; place I worked at recently couldn't get any signal on one side of the building. See if you low bars are localized to certain areas that might cause this occurrence.
MarcusG wrote:

This is not a localized problem. It is indoors and outdoors in every part of the city. I'm really stumped.
MarcusG wrote:

Then I'd return the phone if it's recent otherwise talk to Samsung for the 1 year or if you bought from BestBuy/Futureshop/etc see if you had an extended warranty on it from them or with your credit card.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
MarcusG wrote:

Or u can go through Koodo too for the warranty process
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
MarcusG wrote:

Or call Koodo Technical support at 1-866-995-6636 (Option 6), you can dial *611 from your Koodo phone too
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Does this fluctuation bounce around while you are in one place? Usually a signal drops while in a large concrete building, elevator, underground, etc
Dennis wrote:

Does this fluctuation bounce around while you are in one place? Usually a signal drops while in ...

While a valid point: do realize you're asking if it goes up and down while in an elevator? 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Does this fluctuation bounce around while you are in one place? Usually a signal drops while in ...

LOL. That's classic!
Dennis wrote:

Well Kudos to you, it could be worth a Koodie
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Is there a koodie for being clueless lol
Dennis wrote:

No this is anywhere. It fluctuates no matter where I am.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

So it fluctuates wildly while in one fixed spot? If so then I believe it's a phone issue. If its within 14 days you can bring the phone back and maybe choose another phone. If past that time you can contact Koodo and go through warranty
Dennis wrote:

Yes. I will contact Samsung and see if they will warantee the phone.
Userlevel 5
Another thing to consider is if you have LTE on? I know on the iPhone when it switches from HSPA to LTE it looses service in a fashion you described briefly. Maybe that's the issue?
Jorden wrote:

Another thing to consider is if you have LTE on? I know on the iPhone when it switches from HSPA...

Good point, but the S3 does swap LTE on/off by default.
Userlevel 5
Jorden wrote:

Another thing to consider is if you have LTE on? I know on the iPhone when it switches from HSPA...

I mean my phone does this when it finds LTE. I keep it on at all times but LTE is spotty in my city so it changes back and forth often.