Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Travelling to the USA

Travelling to the USA. My wife and I are both on Koodo. We will be gone for 15 days and need about 5GB of data+text+ calling each for work related use. A company Teleway offers that for about $140USD for both our phones including the nano sims. We would be able to keep our Koodo numbers and both forward our calls from Canada to another CDN number issued by Teleway. Does this sound like a reasonable deal? Other options for keeping our Koodo numbers? Thanks

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Both of your phones need to be Unlocked for that to work. Also you'll need to add the call forwarding add on, pay per use is too expensive. Don't forward your calls to a USA number. Only forward to Canadian numbers. And yes you can keep your Koodo umber but when you call out the other party will see your other number from teleway.
Userlevel 7
Hi Andrew, 

I've never heard of Teleway, however the amount of use you will need I would recommend to get something like Roam Mobility, it's 4.95$ per day for unlimited everything in the states. 

As for your number, you would not be able to port that to another company and keep your Koodo account. Once you transfer your number elsewhere, your account is closed with Koodo. 
Chad Burr wrote:

Both of your phones need to be Unlocked for that to work. Also you'll need to add the call fo...

Yes, both phones are unlocked and yes you are correct I would need to forward to a CDN number - which they provide.
I had not heard of Roam mobility. It seems similar. They provide a few GB more of data for a slightly higher price after nano sim has been added etc. No, I would not port my number I would simply want to be able to have call forwarding to a CDN number that is linked to the USA number for the two weeks we are down south. Too bad I need so much data but I do. Teleway sets you up with a CDN #- linked to the USA number so I could forward my current koodo calls to this number with out a hassle I would presume.
Userlevel 3
RoamMobility.com has a monthly unlimited data (Snowbirds plan about $50 CAD) that is actually 4 GB then throttled back for the balance.They include LD Canada and VM but you will need a compatible unlocked device. Check their coverage map as not all US is covered and check thei website for other info meeting your requirements. London Dugs (western Canada) recently had a sale on a roammobility device including SIM for about $30.00 CAD. Just saying, not recommending.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
grampad wrote:

RoamMobility.com has a monthly unlimited data (Snowbirds plan about $50 CAD) that is actually 4 G...

Ah yes there's that as well if 4GB can be acceptable. Would knock 40+ bucks off the total vs the daily 4.95 or 60+ vs Teleway.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I would follow Mathieu's suggestion to use Roam Mobility. You'd get 7.5GB of LTE data (then unlimited 2G), and CAD/US calling included for 15 days of the4.95 plan, and they offer a slowly increasing discount as you take more days in a row up to 60. For 15 days it would cost 70.30CAD each, 2 sim cards will cost 15. Comes to 155.55 CAD, vs 140 USD = 180 CAD.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

I would follow Mathieu's suggestion to use Roam Mobility. You'd get 7.5GB of LTE data (then unlim...

However, to my recollection using Roam Mobility does not address the call-forwarding to a Canadian number requirement the OP mentioned. Also, the calls forwarded will consume Koodo minutes as if the calls were answered here in Canada, so enough minutes need to be available in their local plan to cover their time away.

Also, it is unusual for SMS to be forwarded through such services, so if the OP needs to receive SMS to his Canadian number while travelling, another option may need to be considered.

Note: teleway.ca is a VoIP provider, and similar call forwarding options could be created with other VoIP providers as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

I would follow Mathieu's suggestion to use Roam Mobility. You'd get 7.5GB of LTE data (then unlim...

Hmm yes there is that. I don't think that itself can forward to other numbers. I don't recall  OP asking about SMS forwarding though. I'm not sure that it's the same Teleway because OP referenced receiving nano sim cards as well from them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Maybe he is speaking about telaway.com, a completely different supplier than he mentioned in his initial post. Telaway has huge gaps in their data coverage, though, so confirming the coverage map may be important for them.

Hmmm lots to consider here. Yes, I need sms forwarding and call forwarding, my current plan is unlimited calling Canada wide. I'm not too familiar with VoIP calling. Just looking for a cost effective way to use my personal number and lots of data on the road for a couple of weeks in Arizona so I don't miss any work related calls/ texts.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Andrew wrote:

Hmmm lots to consider here. Yes, I need sms forwarding and call forwarding, my current plan is un...

You just brought up a touchy subject... Arizona. There are large gaps in coverage there with all carriers, regardless of what the maps say. If you are sticking to urban areas, you should be OK, but don't plan on doing a lot of downloading if you are on the more rural highways.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Andrew wrote:

Hmmm lots to consider here. Yes, I need sms forwarding and call forwarding, my current plan is un...

To my knowledge, the only way to forward SMS is via an app running on your Android phone. I have not found an SMS forwarding app for iPhone. It is not available at the carrier level as call forwarding is. Therefore, you would need to leave your phone home and running to forward SMS.

My suggestion: purchase an unlimited talk and text package from Koodo for your calls & texts. This will keep all calls and texts coming to your number as usual, with no additional costs for outgoing calls or texts. Remember, most of the places you are staying will likely have wi-fi available to you. If you need data while on the road, find a Walmart, and buy a mobile hotspot device, and enough prepaid data for your trip, or a Cricket dealer and buy a cheap phone & data plan. 

This will  net you the certainty of receiving all your calls and texts to your current numbers, and allow for data consumption to meet those needs.