Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Traveling Long Periods - Do I Need a Plan AND Roaming?

Travel internationally (to the UK and South Africa, all over Europe) for about six months. In the past when I used Koodo, I put my phone on hold and then used SIM cards for the countries I was in. It doesn't look like that's possible now. It seems silly to pay $45/month for a data/text plan in Canada when I'm not here. So... do I put it on hold? Somehow get rid of the plan I'm on and only use the $40 International Roaming bundle? Something else?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Bonny,

You could get the seasonal hold which is 15$ per month just to keep your current number, however if you don't really care about getting your number back when you come back and can go with a brand new number, then I would say just completely cancel your service as you will have to select a new plan either way when you get back.
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Bonny,

You could get the seasonal hold which is 15$ per month just to keep your current numbe...

For whatever reason, I was set up with a new account instead of using my former account (that started pretty much when Koodo started). Point being: haven't been on the system long enough, and, I have a Tab. So to my understanding I'd have to have something running, correct?
Userlevel 7
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Bonny,

You could get the seasonal hold which is 15$ per month just to keep your current numbe...

You could just pay off your tab and cancel. If not, you would need to either keep your current plan or switch to the seasonal hold
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobtheElectrician would likely recommend (and I heartily do) porting your number to a VoIP service to keep your current number for pennies per month. You can then use an unlocked phone with any carrier around the world you wish, and point your current (now VoIP) number to the new numbers you acquire on your travels, allowing your Canadian family & friends to easily keep in touch. If you want, you can port your number back on our return, or simply forward it to the new number you get on your return.

I have a 'follow-me' VoIP number I give to friends. Calling it will ring any number(s) I connect it to: the house where I am staying; my cell phone; my travelling companion's phone, etc. The utility of a quality VoIP service is unequaled by any other single service 
David wrote:

BobtheElectrician would likely recommend (and I heartily do) porting your number to a VoIP servic...

You'll have to explain this to me how this works. I'm a nomad and travel more than I have a "home". To my understanding, I would need to pay for VoIP at a residence, and then add my cell to it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

BobtheElectrician would likely recommend (and I heartily do) porting your number to a VoIP servic...

No, VoIP is perfect for a migrant who wants an apparent single point of contact. All you need is an ongoing method of payment; everything else is managed through a web portal. While some VoIP providers such as Vonage or Ooma promote residential connections, such is not necessary. Have a look at Call Centric (Bob's usual recommendation) or voip.ms (mine). You buy a number for less that $2 per month. Any calls to that number can be forwarded to a number of your choosing. A VoIP account can also manage your voicemail and texts, converting VM to emails if you wish, and forwarding texts as well. Many also provide an INUM number. You can also add additional numbers which will also be connected to your account, allowing local calls from friends you meet as you travel. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Also here's a good website to help you choose networks while travelling : http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Prepaid_SIM_with_data