Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Travel to Mexico and Roaming Charges

I am travelling to Mexico and would like to be able to send and receive texts and check email while away. What are my best options? Do the add on plans cover all the additional charges when my phone is turned on? I don't want to be surprised by a large bill.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
You need to decide what you want while you're in Mexico. Do you care if you have data or not? If you do, make sure you choose a roaming add on with data. Even with the add in, if you exceed the allotment there will be overage charges. If you don't then just take a talk and text add on and turn mobile data off on your device. Wifi is always free and can usually be found easily enough.
Userlevel 4
Hi Tammy!

As a suggestion, when in Mexico, you could take the $40 International roaming add-on that gives you 50 outgoing texts, unlimited incoming texts, 50 MB of data and 50 minutes of talk time. 

Here are the pay-per-use rates: $0.60 per outgoing text; incoming text are unlimited; $5/MB and $1.50/a minute.

For more details, click here: http://koo.do/trvllng

Hope that helps and happy travels 🙂

Thank you for the info. Will I only use this extra data while I am out of the country, I assume my normal data will be the used while still in Canada. Is this correct?
Userlevel 7
Tammy Goulding wrote:

Thank you for the info. Will I only use this extra data while I am out of the country, I assume m...

Correctomundo
Tammy Goulding wrote:

Thank you for the info. Will I only use this extra data while I am out of the country, I assume m...

Watch out in Mexico for me I would buy a paygo SIM card there I have heard of ten thousand and more dollars charges if you use your phone in Mexico
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tammy Goulding wrote:

This thread is 2 years old. As per the crazy overage charges youve heard of, phone companies need to block your data usage after $100 so unless your making lots of calls or consent to use more data ot shouldnt get into the thousands.
Tammy Goulding wrote:

Allan, since your post is the most recent, can u please advise what you would suggest for using Koodo in Mexico?  We are going for 5 months. tks.
Userlevel 1
Tammy Goulding wrote:

I have been told recently from a Koodo rep that Koodo will be offering a "roam like home" option in the next couple weeks. I am unsure of the cost, but if its like Telus, I would expect to pay $10 per day. This would enable you to use your cell phone like home, but without any unexpected charges