Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Travel to China for two weeks.

My husband and I both have a Koodo account and we are going to china for a couple of weeks this month. What will be the best way to change the current service so that we can use our phone in China without breaking an arm and leg? Thanks!

7 replies

The best way you change your plan to minm $10 /month and change it on your cut off date otherwise Koodo charge you extra and tell them in advance once you come back from china after a month or weeks you want to use same plan you are using now I make a change last Dec when I visit Hong Kong they put extra charge and they didn't explain me about the plan Now change to Fido the best service provider
CH Sajid wrote:

The best way you change your plan to minm $10 /month and change it on your cut off date otherwise...

Good to know. Thanks so much!
Userlevel 7
Hi Violinit,

If you want to use your phone in China, you may want to add one of the international roaming packages Koodo offers. These packages will include outgoing texts and certain ones include calling and data as well. If you use your phone without an add-on, you will be charged the following:

Minutes: 2.50 per minute
Texts: 0.60 per outgoing texts
Data: 10$ per megabyte.

If you plan on using the phone a lot, you may consider getting the phone unlocked and getting a pre-paid carrier in China to use while your there. Should you decide to get an add-on, make sure that you add it before arriving in China. They all last 30 days, so you do have a good buffer if you add it a day or two before leaving for China.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Thanks Mathieu! This is very helpful! Is there a couple discount for international roaming or unlocking?
Userlevel 7
Violinit wrote:

Thanks Mathieu! This is very helpful! Is there a couple discount for international roaming or unl...

No problem at all!

There is no couple discounts. Unlocking through Koodo costs 35$ per phone, so 70$ for both of your phones. Same thing for the international roaming, you would pay for it for each line you want to activate it on. 
Violinit wrote:

Thanks Mathieu! This is very helpful! Is there a couple discount for international roaming or unl...

One more question Mathieu, once Koodo unlocked the phone, does it keep unlocking? We are also going to Europe this fall and I wonder if we have to pay for the second unlocking by then. Thanks for your help!

Userlevel 7
Violinit wrote:

Nope, once the phone is unlocked, it's unlocked!