Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Transferred carriers last night. My number shows up when calling/texting others, but they can't call/text me

I used to be with Petro-Canada Mobility. Last night ~8pm, I switched my Galaxy S5 to Koodo on the 35$/month plan. The employee at the desk told me it would take up to two hours for me to be able to receive calls and texts to my old number, and that I would get a text from Koodo to let me know when the number transfer was finalized. I received the text last night, but I still am not receiving texts and calls. When I call my cellphone, it says that the number I am trying to join is not active, or something similar. When I use my cellphone to call somewhere, it is my old number that shows up, so it obviously at least partly transferred. What does this mean and when will my phone be functional again?

15 replies

Userlevel 4
Give it 48 hours.
Userlevel 4
Telus/Koodo employees are very uninformed about porting issues.  They also told me all kinds of stuff when I called *611.  They don't know jack at *611 and will do anything to get you to PORT NOW.  I guess they get a commission for the new account.

Your account hasn't transferred.  Calling your number probably still rings your old phone.  They just stick your new number for caller ID while it's getting transferred over.

Whatever you were told before, it takes 24-48 hours.

oh...  I'm rereading and see that you got a text.  maybe reread it.  does it say it's finished or started.  Did they send you a number to call if there were problems?

Koodo porting centre number is  1-844-232-7678   

I'd wait a day before calling, though.
Danny wrote:

Telus/Koodo employees are very uninformed about porting issues.  They also told me all kinds...

It just says "welcome. If you have questions about your new phone or your account go to our website. thanks for choosing koodo." nothing explicitly about the transfer. Alright, I'll keep that in mind. Thank you very much!
Userlevel 7
I usually refer to this as having a "ghost" phone, where your service is still in the process of being transferred. Calls may go through to your old phone but outgoing calls work from your new one. If you provided your account # to the rep when you activated it should be done by now. In my 3 years of wireless sales experience I never encountered a port taking more than 24 hours. If it did, there was a problem with the port. Maybe try removing the SIM from both devices, turn them off, put in the SIMs again, and power them on again. This will force a refresh. Perhaps it just got stuck.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

I usually refer to this as having a "ghost" phone, where your service is still in the process of ...

If there was a problem with the Port, you will need to call Koodo and they can look into it
Jonathan I wrote:

I usually refer to this as having a "ghost" phone, where your service is still in the process of ...

I kept the same device so I simply removed the Koodo sim and restarted it. Calling my number still says the device I am trying to reach is unavailable at this time. I'll give it until 8pm tonight so it will be 24 hours, and I will call Koodo. Thank you for your help!
Userlevel 4
Jonathan I wrote:

my last port took 48 hours.  It was a real cluster-f***.  I also had to follow up a week later because I was unable to call the number I ported-out before that.  Koodo didn't fully release it.  I was on the phone with them for 2 hours before they finally blamed the other provider.  I was about to call the other provider in the morning when I noticed that the problem had been quietly fixed.
Jonathan I wrote:

That's... worrying. Hopefully everything will just quietly get resolved sometime in the next hours, because I don't enjoy being unreachable by phone, hah.
Userlevel 4
Jonathan I wrote:

I'm sure everything will be working for you tomorrow.
Userlevel 4
Jonathan I wrote:

My issue was with an out-going number not an incoming one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

Loana,

I would call Koodo to investigate your port
Jonathan I wrote:

I called, and they said that, since my previous carrier was basically a reseller, it would take roughly 24 hours to change providers. Pretty much exactly 24 hours since I switched in-store, I get a text from Koodo saying my porting is underway, and that they will update me on any new developments.
Userlevel 4
Jonathan I wrote:

they're very frustrating on *611 when it comes to porting.  They always tell you it will take less at first than it will.  General rule is 48 hours.

You'll need to wait until tomorrow morning if you just got a messaging saying your porting is under way.  That's assuming everything goes well 🙂
Jonathan I wrote:

I got a call this morning at 11:30 am saying that the PIN I gave them for my old account was wrong (oops!). So they asked me for either the correct pin or the phone's IMEI. After I gave those, my phone was working by 1 pm, which is a very reasonable amount of time in my opinion. I'm really satisfied with the way they handled this. Thank you very much for your input! 🙂
Userlevel 4
Jonathan I wrote:

That's great!  :)