Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Transfer phone content to new phone

Userlevel 3
Hello All, just a quick question.

I am currently using a Nexus 5 running Marshmallow 6.0 and want to transfer everything in my phone (accounts, messages, photos, music, etc...) to my Moto X Play running Lollipop 5.1.1.

Normally I would just use Tap & Go and Motorola Migrate to do this but unfortunately Motorola Migrate is now incompatible with Marshmallow 6.0.  

I know I could do all this through MANY different computer programs but don't have steady access to a computer currently.  So does anyone have any suggestions on the best app or process to do this or am I stuck using computer programs or waiting for Marshmallow 6.0 on my X Play?

Thanks In Advance. 

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Kakarot. 

I know google has some sort of backup service but it's nowhere as complete as a full backup from 1 phone to another. Personally, I'd wait for the tool to be available, which I hope will for you. I do not know any other program able to do that, so I can't help you much with that unfortunately...
Userlevel 7
You don't need a computer, there's some apps that will take care of this.

- Accounts are easy. Just log into the apps/accounts again on the new phone and your data will sync across them.

- SMS backup and restore is a nice app for texts. I used it for my dad's phones when he switched from an Optimus 2X to his Galaxy Core.

- There's probably the most methods available to transfer photos. You can have them backed up/synced to Google Photos or any # of cloud storage apps (OneDrive comes to mind) or have them uploaded to FB in a private folder.

- Music files are generally bigger and harder to transfer than photos, but a cloud storage tool is a lifesaver for this stuff. Or, I also recommend getting access to a computer, if only for a few minutes. It doesn't take long to copy/paste the files onto your computer and then place them on the new phone.
Userlevel 6
If the feeling of laziness is overpowering (which it often is in my case)
Most cellphone repair places have a machine that does it.
They plug both phones in, push a button, charge you 20 bucks and it's done.
but ultimately, doing it yourself is best and Jonathan posted all the best ways.
Cheers ~
Userlevel 3
Thanks for all the suggestions! And Mr. Mitchell is right it's much more of a laziness thing than anything else. Guess i'll have to do some leg work on this one lol.

You can use Google account to backup some data from your old phone if you have one, then transfer them to the new phone you have. If you think this would be complicated, you can use a mobile transfer  program to share files between phones.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Agatha Alice wrote:

Actually, there're many special designed [url=http://www.android-file-manager.com]android data ba...

Thank you for your comment but you are revving an old thread. If you have any further questions or comments just create a new one!