Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Transfer of warranty question

Userlevel 3
So,I just traded an iPhone 6s,3 months old,for a Galaxy S7 Edge, 5 months old. After a week the S7 Edge froze up and stayed on the "Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Powered by Android" screen. (this is happening right now as I type) I have called Samsung and they took me through all the steps and trouble shooting and it's still stuck on that screen and is blazing hot. I'm guessing it'll die eventually?
My question is,the Galaxy s7 Edge has a manufacturers warranty that's still good right up until August. (this was told to me by the Samsung rep on webchat) Is that warranty transfered over to me?(again,rep told me yes)(rep on phone told me no) Do I need a receipt? Should I try and contact original owner? I'm getting the run around by different reps and would just like anyone who has been in this situation to hopefully give me some advise and guidance as to what they had to do. Thanks in advance!

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You need to carry the Bill of purchase to claim the warranty so as long as you have that it will be covered by their warranty.
Userlevel 3
Thanks Allan! So I just need to try and get in contact with the person I traded the iPhone with and hope she still has the receipt? Or,if she doesn't have the receipt,get her to go through the process of getting the Galaxy fixed?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes, you may be able to get away getting it repaired without a receipt if youre lucky but I just talked to a Samsung rep who said a receipt is sufficient enough to guarantee a warranty fix. If you'd like to fix it yourself though, I would suggest factory resetting your phone as it seems to only be a software issue.
Userlevel 3
Allan wrote:

Yes, you may be able to get away getting it repaired without a receipt if youre lucky but I just ...

Hey Allan,
I can't get into the phone at all. It's stuck on the screen I mentioned in OP. I went through every thing possible on the phone with Samsung Rep and we didn't get anything to work to get it off that screen!

Good news is I managed to retrieve some old emails from hotmail and get the woman's email address that swapped with me. So,hopefully she has the receipt and can help me out.
If she don't have the receipt can SHE still go through the warranty process,since she is original purchaser? And also,if she do have the receipt and give it to me,then you're saying i can go through the process of getting the phone fixed,no issues?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

Yes, you may be able to get away getting it repaired without a receipt if youre lucky but I just ...

You can plug the phone into a computer and do a factory reset using Samsung Kies. 
Download: http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/
How-To Guide: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1984717

She should be able to go through the warranty process herself yes and according to the Samsung Rep I talked to, all you need is a "Bill of Purchase" to qualify for the warranty so yes.
Userlevel 3
Allan wrote:

Thanks so much Allan! Gonna try this now!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

I believe Kies has been replaced with Samsung Smart Switch.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

David is correct, Kies will work with Android 2.1 through 4.2. I mistook this for another thread i was reading. You will want to download Samsung Smart Switch here: http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/smartswitch/
Userlevel 3
Allan wrote:

I already had Smart Switch on my laptop from previous Galaxy phone.

The Galaxy s7 Edge wont even come on now. It died while it was froze to start up screen and I plugged it in to charge and it showed that it was charging but then just died and won't come back on at all!
Won't come on while using with Smart Switch either! Completely not working!
It's definitely gone I think.

Praying the lady I traded with gets back to me soon!

Thanks for your help Allan!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

If you cannot get the receipt and you cannot get Smart Switch to get it working, you can turn to recovery mode and should be able to use Odin to get the software flashed and fresh installed.
Badge +4
To do a proper factory reset (and wipe the cache partition) it's best to use the hardware method. Power off your S7 Edge or in your case, wait for it to build a charge of at least 80 %. Use the supplied wall charger and not your computers' usb port to charge the phone. It's possible that due to the phone becoming excessively hot, a thermal protection circuit may have been triggered to protect the battery and internal circuitry. If the phone continues to get extremely hot while charging, stop charging the phone and send it in for warranty repair. [b]Factory reset (hardware method) Press and hold the Power, Volume Up and Home buttons simultaneously to get into Recovery mode Use the Volume keys to scroll up or down through the menu From the main menu, scroll down and select 'wipe data/factory reset' If you want to clear the app data cache, select 'wipe cache partition' Wiping the cache partition often fixes various software related issues. When done, go back to main recovery menu. Select 'reboot system now' and allow the phone to reboot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rikkster, unfortunaty the method you are suggesting wont work as he said his phone will no longer power on
Userlevel 3
I'm going to charge the phone for a few hours and try to turn it on. If that doesn't work then I know it's dead and I'll need either the receipt or the lady who I traded with to start the warranty process. Hopefully she can,if not,I'm out an Iphone 6s and Galaxy s7 Edge. So sad 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If neither of those things work try contacting Samsung and see if you can get the warranty even though you arent the owner. You may get lucky and be able to make a warranty claim. Best of luck!