Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Transfer of Responsibility with Tab Balance

Userlevel 6
Hi there. I have a specific situation I'm in. I have a phone number that someone I know would like to take over. I recently activated the line and there is a tab balance, plus I'm within the 90 days of activation. I have multiple lines with Koodo and in this case I'd only be transfering one out. I will keep at least one active to my name at all times so that the account doesn't close.
What I understand:
  • Tab balance can only be paid once the line has been active for at least 90 days
  • Tab balance gets pushed to the following bill
  • Transfer of responsibility one-time fee is $10 (I have no issue with this)
  • I will not be giving up the phone on this transfer and I shouldn't have to
  • The new account holder is in a different city, and if they want a new sim card, they can grab one at a kiosk and have the service switched over to the new sim card
What I would like to know:
  • Can I make sure that the balance gets charged to my account with the pro-rated service, not to the new account holder of that phone number?
  • The $10 fee gets charged to the new account, correct?
My biggest concern is that I absorb the tab, as I am keeping the phone. I want to make sure that I get billed for it, not the next account holder of that phone number.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If the number gets ported out to that person, all remaining Koodo expenses will go to you, not the new account holder. 

If you are talking about splitting off the account to the new owner (if they want to keep the account together with the number), they will also take over all remaining costs.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

If the number gets ported out to that person, all remaining Koodo expenses will go to you, not th...

Didn't know you could port to an individual other than the original account holder.

Userlevel 5
Sophia wrote:

If the number gets ported out to that person, all remaining Koodo expenses will go to you, not th...

When you transfer ownership of your Koodo account, the new account owner assumes responsibility for any financial obligations of the transferred account’s negative Tab balance. 
Sophia wrote:

This is categorically false. I did a Transfer of Ownership to another individual 3 months ago, however the balance stayed OPEN on my account, but since I no longer had the phone number or an address on the account, I never received a bill. It went to collections, even though that account still exists under someone else's name, and my CREDIT HAS BEEN DECIMATED. I can no longer apply for a loan or get an apartment. Thanks Koodo
Sophia wrote:

Seriously, you cannot trust this organization. For 7 years now this will be on my credit report. All because the balance stayed OPEN without a WAY TO CONTACT THE PREVIOUS OWNER. Because Koodo simply did not do as they said and they did not transfer this balance to the new account holder and because they have TRANSFERRED Ownership they have no way of sending ME a bill AND DID NOT SEND IT TO THE NEW OWNER WHO CURRENTLY IS USING THE NUMBER and paying the bill.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

1 unpaid bill does not DECIMATE your credit unless you have many other incidences of past dues bills.  Koodo is not perfect and mistakes can occur.  However, it is unfair to blame Koodo for your complete inability to apply for a loan or get an apartment
Sophia wrote:

I have never missed a payment as per my credit report on either my Rogers, Telus or Fido, as well as my LOC, or in fact had ANYTHING sent to collections. A 120 drop is a decimation of my credit score and Koodo made 0 effort or attempt to get ahold of me about this bill. An unpaid bill sent to collections will absolutely affect ones credit score and interest eligibility. My "complete inability" to "apply" for a loan is not the issue. I am physically able to apply, however was directly denied because of this delinquency, so I would say Koodo is entirely responsible for not ensuring they have up to date contact details when conducting a ownership transfer, incase errors do transpire and the FORMER owner must be contacted. I understand due to privacy concerns, the new owner with the same number would not be contacted, but why did they not call the alternate number on file? How is it my fault I did not know I owed money because 0 attempt was made at reaching out?
According to CBV, not even A CONTACT NUMBER was provided to contact me with to let me have an awareness this was festering on my report as DELIQUENT. Koodo had an alternate number on file for for this account but chose not to call it or give it to CBV. I found out after being declined a loan due to a unsatisfactory score which is entirely uncharacteristic of my history, which raised alarm bells. I am a student so I need to reapply for my LOC yearly and done so with no issue in the past. How could this account transfer even be authorized if there was any balance? and if it was Koodo's mistake, the gravest negligence is their lack of attempt to contact me about a balance that was PAID already anyways.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

This sounds like an issue that you will have to talk to a Koodo Rep about. Fell free to call (Dial 1-866-99-KOODO (1-866-995-6636)) or message them on Facebook (https://m.me/Koodo) or through Twitter DM.
Sophia wrote:

I've read 8 cases of this happening in my research in other forums (with KOODO specifically), and save taking this to the CBC or to court, it would be an uneventful use of my time to pursue a matter with a negligent and careless party, aka the same representatives who put me in this position and assured me I owed nothing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

If they assured you that than obviously there is a mistake and you should contact them before its too late for them to make any changes. In this case, the sooner the better.
Userlevel 6
Sophia wrote:

W00t, my thread got revived!
Userlevel 6
Sophia wrote:

Here's my question, why are you trusting ANYTHING CBV Collections tells you?  These are the same guys who called me to collect on a landline account I supposedly had with Cogeco, while in fact I have NEVER lived in a Cogeco territory, therefore I've NEVER had any dealings with Cogeco as it's impossible for that to happen.  But they insisted they had a Cogeco account with my name, address, cell phone number, and my SIN number on file.  When I got them to give me the address they had on file, the city matched where I live (which is NOT serviced by Cogeco), but the street address is not 1 where I've ever lived, as that address does not physically exist.  They also refused to tell me what the SIN number on file us (privacy rules?), but  they told me it started with 7, which mine does not. 
Never trust CBV
Userlevel 6
Sophia wrote:

Sounds like CBV Collections is out to lunch.
Userlevel 6
Sophia wrote:

CBV Collections isn't a legitimate collections agency, they're just trying to scam people out of their money
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
if you want the tab balance charged to your account you need to pay off the tab while you are still the owner of that line.  Meaning you need to wait the 90 days
Userlevel 6
To my original post, I realize that my best option is to port out to prepaid with any wireless carrier after the 90 days. I absorb the balance (which is expected), no clawbacks, and then I deliver the number to someone else on a sim card with no commitments. Once I put the number on prepaid, I change the user name from mine to theirs, and it's a done deal 😃