Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Toggling Android Notifications

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Is there a way to easily turn off/on all notifications at once on Android devices? Scenario: I'm currently using my Nexus 5 to Chromecast and that's about it. It stays on my nighstand for when I want to watch stuff in bed. I obviously can't turn on Airplane mode as it requires a WiFi connection to the same network that my Chromecast is connected to. While the N5 is being used like this, I don't want the distraction of notifications. I'm not talking about sound or LED, I simply don't want anything pushed to this device. I know that I can disable notifications individually, but I have way too many apps to do this back and forth on a regular basis. Any tips or suggestions?

12 replies

Userlevel 6
ROOT your device then get "Notifications Off"--> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aboutmycode.NotificationsOff It's what I use.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Burke wrote:

ROOT your device then get "Notifications Off"--> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co...

Was hoping for a non-root solution as rooting isn't always an option (loaner phones).
Userlevel 6
John Burke wrote:

ROOT your device then get "Notifications Off"--> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co...

None that I know of. Nexus devices can easily be unROOT'ed ... check out WugsFresh Nexus ROOT Toolkit - it's a one-click process for Nexus devices.
Userlevel 7
I was just going to suggest putting it on silent mode but you said you don't want anything pushed at all. I think Samsung has this feature baked into Touchwiz ala a toggle in the status bar. People here on the forum accidentally turn off notifications and then wonder why stuff doesn't come in anymore.
Userlevel 7
Can't you disable background data? Would that do the same? Just a thought.
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Can't you disable background data? Would that do the same? Just a thought.

He's connected to WiFi and as such, notifications will still come through.
Userlevel 1
On ace 2x there is a notifications button in the drop down menu. is there on on there?
Userlevel 7
B2theden wrote:

On ace 2x there is a notifications button in the drop down menu. is there on on there?

No, that is a touchwiz setting. It's not on other Android skins.
Userlevel 1
You can't without root or if you use a samsung phone, what B2theden said.
Badge +4
Wi-Fi should still work in Airplane mode. I've managed to get it to work on the Galaxy Gio, Ace, Ace 2x, S2x and the Moto G, no root required. I'm wondering if the Chromecast dongle can't be attached directly to your wireless router via usb. I have neither the N5 or Chromecast, just throwing some ideas around.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

Wi-Fi should still work in Airplane mode. I've managed to get it to work on the Galaxy Gio, Ace, ...

WiFi works in airplane mode of course, but that's a moot point as any data connection will enable notifications. My Chromecast is 2 rooms away from my router but even if it wasn't and I could do a wired setup, my phone would still need to be connected to the network to control the Chromecast.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Thanks for all your replies. I'll use John's suggestion for the rooted method (I'll be rooting to install Sailfish OS when available anyway) but I was hoping to be able to use my tester for this purpose and I'm not messing with phones that aren't my property. Anyway, I hope to see something like this in a future Android version. A notification centre menu would be great (like in iOS, but with a "kill all" option on top of individual app controls). Having to go into account settings for each app is brutal. Does Google's Android development team have a forum for feature suggestions?