Koodo Community

Community

Solved

To Send that pic or not to ?!

Ok, this is going to be long. My mom had a Galaxy Ace. $25/mo plan, with unlimited texting unlimited SMS/MMS messages but no data. She never had any problems. She always sent picture messages without charges. She upgraded her phone a month ago, and now every time she sends a picture message, Koodo says it uses data. When she spoke with Koodo, the representative couldn't give her an answer as to why this was happening and could not/would not help her out. Also when she asked about a plan that had data, he couldn't give her an answer. So please Koodo community, why now all of a sudden is she accumulating data because she turns it on to send a picture ? In her Overview, it shows no charges for the sent picture message, but it shows it uses data.The data is the exact amount of the picture message that was sent. I have disabled all updates and such on the phone so that it does not update unless its over wifi and I authorize it.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The phone has it right... sending an MMS uses up data. However self service got it right too, MMS data does not get charged 🙂 So if she uses WiFi for all other things, she should be good to go!
She gets charged though for the phone using data to send a picture. Every month she has a $5 charge on her phone when she has only sent 1 or 2 pictures. She doesn't use her phone for anything but texting. ( She shouldn't have even upgraded because she is so not technology savvy to even use a new phone's potential)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
KellyR wrote:

She gets charged though for the phone using data to send a picture. Every month she has a $5 char...

She may be seeing some data leakage while data is on to send pictures. Options I see include: paying the slight overage, buying a small data plan, doing even further checking to close down apps and background updates on the phone, or sending photos by email when connected to Wi-Fi, bypassing the data issue altogether.

Userlevel 6
Hi Kelly, dfbutt is right! What phone does your mother have? We can explain you how to disable auto-sync, auto-update and configure other settings that could use data in the background. Thank you! ________________________ If you see a good answer, give it a star.
She has the Samsung S3 . I've disabled everything I possibly can find. But any ideas I will gladly take. I'm thinking the only option is to just deal with the $5/month . for her to upgrade her plan it's going to double her cost and it's not worth it when she doesn't use it for the cost she would pay
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
KellyR wrote:

She has the Samsung S3 . I've disabled everything I possibly can find. But any ideas I will gladl...

Why don't you move her over to prepaid, Kelly... if all she does is text... $13.50 (including 10% auto top up discount) is all it would cost per month, no unexpected data fees and she can send text and MMS to her heart's content. She can buy a voice booster to cover the occasional call.
That's a good idea Sophia ! She currently has a tab though so she would have to pay that off first. I will definitely look into this for her.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
KellyR wrote:

That's a good idea Sophia ! She currently has a tab though so she would have to pay that off firs...

It might be worth it in the long run... pay off your Tab once, but then save per month. It depends on what plan she is now of course, if it is one of those awesome grandfathered $25 plans with lots of minutes, I would probably have second thoughts 😃
It is one of those Grandfathered plans, but she don't use it enough to really worry about. She only talks maybe 25 min a month. Mostly texts. Doesn't really understand any of the extra features her new phone does . If her old phone wasn't acting up she would have never have even bothered to upgrade. I'm going to look into the prepaid version. Im going to tell my Dad about it too. He has the old Grandfathered $15 plan that only gives him 50 texts 50 min and has to pay for picture messages. Prepaid would definitely benefit him !