Koodo Community

Community

Solved

tired of being black mailed by my recently ex boyfriend

My boyfriend got me a Samsung galaxy s5 from Koodo under his name on his monthly bill with the understanding and agreement that I pay for the phone along with my service. Everything was good. I recently broke up with him and 2 days later he had my phone disconnected even though I have been giving him the money for my phone is there any way I can have my phone reactivated with out going back to him??? Please help tired of being black mailed

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Technically the phone is his and without his cooperation you won't be able to keep your number or service. However. Head over to this website and enter your IMEI. The website will tell you if he reported your phone as lost or stolen. If not you can just pop a new sim onto it and continue using your phone with your own account (but a new plan and number) . If he did then I'm afraid your phone is nothing more than a paperweight.
http://www.protectyourdata.ca/check-t...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm really sorry to hear that he is being vindictive like that but sadly there's nothing that can be done if he decides to report it as stolen/lost. The best you could do is call Koodo an explain the situation an pray they decide to take it off but it's eaaily "he said she said" and "a thief could cry this story etc." the only thing you could do with your expensive plastic paperweight is sell it out of country as a blacklist is for Canadian providers only.
Userlevel 7
Goran wrote:

I'm really sorry to hear that he is being vindictive like that but sadly there's nothing that can...

À respectful correction They won't take it off the list regardless as it's not her phone. Unless she knows the account pin and other account information she won't get anywhere. The database is all of North America which includes USA. Cheers
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

I'm really sorry to hear that he is being vindictive like that but sadly there's nothing that can...

Thank you kindly! Should have known. The wording on the Web page only says participating Canadian Carriers. Does it say elsewhere NA in general?
Userlevel 7
Goran wrote:

I was just doing some reading on the database itself and apparently it's global. It's the GSMA IMEI database, that carriers in North America use.
Goran wrote:

I have the contract agreement with the information about my phone currently with me
Userlevel 7
Goran wrote:

Did you check the database?
Goran wrote:

My Samsung galaxy s5 neo is locked to Koodo and he had also reported lost or stolen Completely unfair especially when I have been paying for the phone and so far I paid him over 200.00$$$
Userlevel 7
Goran wrote:

That's something you'll need to take up with him. The phone is in his name. You could offer to sell it back to him as it's worthless to anyone while it's on that list.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Well, it can still be used as a media player/browser/GPS, but yeah - no use as a phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

http://www.protectyourdata.ca/2012/11/canadas-wireless-carriers-take-action-to-help-battle-smartphone-theft/ Looks like it is carrier dependent worldwide. Depends on partner Carriers.
Userlevel 4
I think to remember that some cell unlocked use a different IMEI to achieve the purpose (of unlocking) but I never tried it. Anyone?
Userlevel 7
Tiz wrote:

I think to remember that some cell unlocked use a different IMEI to achieve the purpose (of unloc...

Even if you unlocked it, no carrier would allow it to function on their Network while it is on that database
Userlevel 4
Tiz wrote:

I think to remember that some cell unlocked use a different IMEI to achieve the purpose (of unloc...

It would disappear from the database with a different IMEI. Or not?

Userlevel 7
Tiz wrote:

Changing the imei is very difficult no?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tiz wrote:

From what I can see the issue is finding the software but the process itself isn't overly difficult.
Userlevel 4
Tiz wrote:

I am sure that at a certain time someone was offering on the internet the possibility to change the IMEI to unlock the phone. I was trying to find out my notes about the process but I could not find anything. So, I go by memory: it is possible to change the IMEI but the old IMEI comes back with software updates. I am not pushing to commit something wrong with this, actually I am trying to rise awareness about a possible problem.
Tiz wrote:

I am trying to unlock the phone now
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tiz wrote:

Not to pass judgment on any particular case, but changing the IMEI is akin to falsifying the serial number, like monkeying around with the VIN that identifies your car. Anyone looking up your new "improved" number may fall onto the specs of something that is completely different, so I wouldn't classify IMEI swiping as totally honest, especailly that since from the phone owner's point of view, the goods have not been returned and could technically be called stolen under the worst possible scenario.
Userlevel 7
Tiz wrote:

Don't waste your money. Even unlocked the imei follows the device. Changing the imei requires some technical skill if you're okay with doing it. You still may end up with a brick. Try contacting the boyfriend and get him to transfer the device into your name on your account. That's my easiest advice to you
Userlevel 4
Tiz wrote:

Out of curiousity, if her boyfriend still owed money for the phone, would reporting it lost or stolen absolve him from paying the balance owed? If not, then I second the idea of Lorie selling him the phone for the $200 she reportedly paid to him. It is in the best interest of bogh parties.
Userlevel 7
Tiz wrote:

No.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tiz wrote:

At the end of the day, I'd agree that the best courser of action to attempt would be once cooler heads prevail ever so slightly to try to give him back the phone and get the money you paid back or some sort of arrangement. Failing that, unless you're willing to go with the imei attmept or to try to find a country to sell it to who is not a partner carrier with the Canadian blacklist, you're pretty much stuck with a wifi mini tablet. Whatever you do, absolve yourself from everything and move on. It might suck but there's good lower priced phones that will work well without hurting your finances hard.