Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Third Party Phone

I was think of buying a Galaxy S7 from ebay Canada. Can I use this with my Koodo account. Will there be an additional charge.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If the phone is unlocked and supports Koodo's network frequencies then yes it will work on the Koodo network. There is no extra charge for bringing your own device. These are the frequencies we are currently using 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS) 1900 MHz 700 MHz 850 MHz HSPA: 850 MHz and 1900 MHz (UMTS) CDMA: 850 MHz and 1900 MHz
I don't know why you would go through the hassle of buying the phone from E-bay at near to full price when you can just buy it from Koodo at a discounted price especially since there is a promotion.
Secondly, now is a bad time to buy any new phones in general the S8 is coming out later this month so sellers are trying to drop old phone inventory if I were you I'd be patient and wait for the S8 to come out within literally less than a month.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Avid Gamer24 wrote:

I don't know why you would go through the hassle of buying the phone from E-bay at near to full p...

There is a large variety in prices on ebay, some for extremely good deals. Not everyone wants to get a phone on a tab for many reasons; (Don't want to be "locked" in for 2 years, don't want to be stuck with a Tab M or L plan, can't pass credit check to get a phone on the tab, etc.).
As well the Galaxy S8's release event is set for March 29th with an expected (estimated) release date of April 21 and some people don't want to wait that long. 
@OP if you can wait, it would be better to purchase an S7 after the S8 comes out as the S7's prices will drop.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Avid Gamer24 wrote:

I don't know why you would go through the hassle of buying the phone from E-bay at near to full p...

The S7 is still a good phone. It's not uncommon to get last year's flagship as a mid priced phone that will likely best out new mid tier phones.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Avid Gamer24 wrote:

Lol the S8 / S8 + will only be coming in curved variants so if you don't like the curves which I'm not too big on after having the S6 Edge and S7 Edge and always having to be concerned on how I hold it to avoid inadvertent taps so using it quickly can become frustrating at times. So if you want a normal flat screen flagship Samsung then the S7 is your only option unless you want to go S6 but then your dealing with not so great battery life.
Avid Gamer24 wrote:

It makes much more sense to go with, it's a new phone and for somewhat of the same price it depends what he's looking for when it comes down to it, price or quality, the s8 will have more features than the S7 for sure and not only that the new Iphone is coming out as well not a good time to be buying phones considering the new phones are coming very soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Avid Gamer24 wrote:

The new iPhone doesn't come out till September which isn't soon and if you play that game there's ALWAYS something new coming out. Bang for your buck the S7 will be a better buy as Samsung phones are already overpriced in reality.
Avid Gamer24 wrote:

The S7 is a solid phone but not the best you can get for that price point.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Avid Gamer24 wrote:

This is why he is buying it from ebay. To get it cheaper.
Avid Gamer24 wrote:

In that case, he shouldn't be buying Samsung he should go for a cheaper variant phone with the same specifications possibly third party Android companies that offer same specification phones for lower prices than Ebay
Userlevel 6
Avid Gamer24 wrote:

instead of going with the S7, I'd go with the LG G5, simply for the removable battery
Userlevel 6
Avid Gamer24 wrote:

instead of going with the S7, I'd go with the LG G5, simply for the removable battery
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Avid Gamer24 wrote:

Why would you go for a device with worse everything else just to get a removable battery? The S7 charges super fast so just buy a cheap battery pack for the times you need to have the battery last more than a day because the S7 lasts you through the day so it's rare you'd need to charge it up and not have an outlet available for a quick top up or even full charge in just 60 minutes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Avid Gamer24 wrote:

S7: More PPI, 200mah more battery life. IP 68 G5: Bigger Screen, Better Camera, USB Type-C G5: $360 S7: $605 Tab L, $874 Tab M or S When it comes down to it, i dont think the S7 is worth $245-$514 more and I also wouldnt say it has "worse everything" as the only differences for the most part are listed above.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Avid Gamer24 wrote:

Having had both phones, I can attest that the Samsung has nothing worth the price premium. The G5 may not hold up to the S7 is benchmarking and reviews, but it is a fantastic device (and LG has a better after-sale support program than Samsung - broke the screen and back camera glass by dropping it on concrete, on day 2 of ownership - go me - and LG repaired it for a flat fee of ~$200).

But if he wants an S7, now is a good time to buy. Sure the S8 is around the corner, which is why the S7 is being discounted. Yes, the S8 will be a better device, but we're in the age when each new device brings small improvements. This isn't like the jump from an iPhone 3GS to an iPhone 4 back in the day.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Avid Gamer24 wrote:

The G5 does NOT have a better camera than the S7, the S7 has the best camera along with the Pixel and iPhone 7 if your taking photos, if your taking video the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus have the best camera for video. USB type C isn't really any advantage right now to be picking a phone over.
I do agree with Ivan on the fact that LG had better after support prices though, that's a big advantage I didn't take into consideration.
That said this is kind of taking over the original post so we should probably stop because it's alot of personal opinion when it comes down to it lol.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Avid Gamer24 wrote:

The camera debate is pointless - both devices have great cameras. Sure the S7 is a better device, but not by much, and is definitely not worth the huge premium based on specs alone.

That being said, if someone prefers the S7 for any subjective reason, it's ultimately their money and choice.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Make sure it is not stolen

https://www.devicecheck.ca/consumers/
Userlevel 6
Dennis wrote:

Make sure it is not stolen

[url=https://www.devicecheck.ca/consumers/]https://www.devicecheck.ca...

True that! Mind you, eBay has amazing buyer's protection. If I were to buy a phone on eBay, and it got blacklisted, I'd be filing to get my money back for sure 😃