Koodo Community

Community

Solved

The big three Canadian network frequencies

Userlevel 1
For the unlocked (international) fans - The big three Canadian network frequencies Partial C/P from http://www.tintedgreen.net/guide-will... Telus (including Koodo) 2G CDMA 850/1900 EVDO 850/1900 3G (and fake 4G) HSDPA 850/1900 HSPA+ 850/1900 UMTS 850/1900 WCDMA 850/1900 1x EV-DO CDMA2000 4G (called 4G+) LTE 1700/2100 Bell (including Virgin Mobile, PC Mobility) 2G CDMA 850/1900 EVDO 850/1900 3G (and fake 4G) HSDPA 850/1900 HSPA+ 850/1900 UMTS 850/1900 WCDMA 850/1900 1x EV-DO CDMA2000 4G LTE 1700 Rogers (including Fido, Petro-Canada Mobility) 2G GSM 850/1900 GPRS 850/1900 EDGE 850/1900 3G (and fake 4G) HSDPA 850/1900 HSPA+ 850/1900 UMTS 850/1900 WCDMA 850/1900 4G LTE 1700

97 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Very nice, thank you! 🙂
Userlevel 6
Very helpful. Is there anywhere we can post this so it's easy to find in the future?
Userlevel 1
Curtules wrote:

Very helpful. Is there anywhere we can post this so it's easy to find in the future?

I saved it in my Reference Folder, In 2013 about 27 million canadians among 34.48 million (2011) population are using cell phones 28.51% share go to Telus/Koodo, 28.40% to Bell Mobility and 21.86% to Rogers
Userlevel 1
Curtules wrote:

Where did you get that Telus has more customers than any of the other big 3 ? Last I read, Bell was still in the lead. I am really curious to read the study you took these numbers.
Userlevel 1
Curtules wrote:

Wikipedia!
Curtules wrote:

When it says 850/1900, does that mean the phone needs to support both to work?
Curtules wrote:

Thanks for the simplified version Ivan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Curtules wrote:

You're welcome!
Curtules wrote:

is there a way to make something compatible to networl? like iphone to wind network?
Curtules wrote:

Bell and Rogers also have LTE Band 7 (2600). This is very important because if you want to try a Chinese phone, most of them require band 7 so you need to know that this band is available on both Rogers, including Fido, and Bell.
Userlevel 2
You can add Rogers LTE 2600 to the list. Fastest in Canada.
Userlevel 1
mattjs wrote:

Is it 4G LTE 1700 or LTE 2600?
Userlevel 2
mattjs wrote:

It's the 2600MHz band, nothing to do with 1700. I believe they also have 2100 as well.
Userlevel 1
mattjs wrote:

Thank you mattjs!
mattjs wrote:

Still the 2600 is important if someone is contemplating on buying an unlocked phone from Aisa. Korean phones may have LTE 2600 but not LTE 1700 - it will be 1800 instead.
Userlevel 5
mattjs wrote:

Please keep an eye on post dates when replying to topics. This one had been dead for over 7 months.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Thanks for the info, but I'd clean this up a bit. For example, the CDMA info is irrelevant as international visitors will have GSM phones. Also, there's a lot of redundancy. For example, EV-DO is a data transfer type on CDMA networks just like EDGE/HSPA is on 2G/3G GSM and requires no separate mention. Basically, here's my simplified version: 2G GSM: 850/1900 (Rogers, Fido, and MVNOs operating on the Rogers network such as 7-11 and Petro Canada) 3G GSM: 850/1900 (All major networks EXCEPT WIND Mobile and Mobilicity) (UMTS) AWS 1700/2100 (WIND Mobile and Mobilicity) 4G LTE: AWS 1700 (Rogers, Bell, and Telus as well as their national discount brands - Fido, Virgin, and Koodo, respectively) . Regional carriers may also offer LTE coverage. LTE special note: LTE is really not popular outside North America yet and many int'l travelers will not have a compatible device.
Ivan wrote:

Thanks for the info, but I'd clean this up a bit. For example, the CDMA info is irrelevant as int...

will my wind sim card work on an unlocked phone that has GSM 2G or WCDMA 2100MHz 3G network
Userlevel 7
Ivan wrote:

Thanks for the info, but I'd clean this up a bit. For example, the CDMA info is irrelevant as int...

You can only use your wind SIM card with wind. And that phone lacks the frequencies for wind or koodo What phone is it?
Userlevel 6
Thanks for the info, skids22! ________________________ If you see a good answer, give it a star.
Exactly what I was looking for. Then does this mean that my international phone running on the WCDMA 850/2100 MHz bands should work for 3G in Koodo as well? I am currently with Rogers and I have no issues, but I am concerned that all the other major players do not support GSM; do I need 2G (CDMA and/or EVDO) coverage to work with Koodo, or is having access to the WCDMA 850 frequency sufficient? Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Carlos Probst wrote:

Exactly what I was looking for. Then does this mean that my international phone running on the W...

Your international phone will give you limited coverage without the 1900 band on Koodo. Please refer to my post above. You're also not getting full coverage with Rogers without the 1900 band. Koodo has no 2G GSM network. CDMA is being phased out and is irrelevant to your phone.
Carlos Probst wrote:

Exactly what I was looking for. Then does this mean that my international phone running on the W...

Hey I've been going crazy trying to get 3g to work on my unlocked phone - all I get is edge my phone supports 850-900 -1800 &1900 I'm with fido
Userlevel 7
Carlos Probst wrote:

What phone do you have Muhammad?
Carlos Probst wrote:

I have a qmobile z8 plus Here is the link for specs http://m.whatmobile.com.pk/Qmobile_Noir-Z8-Plus Thanks