Koodo Community
Solved

Texting not working

Userlevel 1
I bought a brand new samsung A50, i can send & receive calls but i can't send/receive text. When i sent the text, it shows as if there's no problem at all, but the person i send it to doesn't receive it. There's no error. It's the same when they send me a message, no error but I don't get anything.

Since it's a few phone i did a full reset back to factory & had to redo all the settings from the start & it didn't fix it, i took the sim card out & put it back in & didn't fix either.

I also tried another messaging app & it didn't change anything.
icon

Best answer by Allan M 23 June 2019, 04:09

Is it just with one person or multiple people.
As well do those people happen to have iPhones?
View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Are you a previous Koodo customer or did you just port over as well?
Userlevel 4
If you’ve had it less than 15 days return it.
Userlevel 1
I'm a new customer, had it for less than a week. There's no way to fix it without returning? Also I didn't port anything, it's my first cell in like 20 years.
Userlevel 4
You can try putting your SIM card in another phone and trying it for a couple of minutes. Sometimes that will reboot your network registration.
Userlevel 1
I'll try putting the sim in another phone but that other phone is with another carrier. Also just now i received a text from Koodo about me using the self serve helper yesterday, i was able to reply to that message with no problems..
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Have you ported your number into Koodo? was it a new number?

What phone the other people are using? are they using iphone? Also, if you have another phone, have you tried to get the SIM into it and test?
Userlevel 1
The other phone is with Bell & is a Samsung J1. This is a new number. The J1 I think uses Micro SIM instead of Nano so I don't think I can put it in there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The other phone is with Bell & is a Samsung J1. This is a new number. The J1 I think uses Micro SIM instead of Nano so I don't think I can put it in there.
Did it happen with only one number? how about other number phone? The Koodo SIM is tricut SIM, you could put the SIM back into its micro SIM package and make it a micro SIM (if you still keep the original SIM).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Is it just with one person or multiple people.
As well do those people happen to have iPhones?
Userlevel 1
It's to the only 3 people I have on my contacts so far & none of them have iPhones. I'll try to put the nano in the micro part that it came with & swap it in the J1 phone later & see if that changes anything.
Userlevel 1
I put the sim in my mother's J1 that's with Bell. I guess the phone is locked with them or something because it asked me for a sim pin code or something. Once I got in the phone it would say invalid sim so i couldn't do much with it. Now I put her sim back in the phone & I think she can't send messages anymore. This is confusing.

Also when i "View Usage" on the koodo self care site, it does say that I sent 18 messages, people just don't get them & I don't get theirs either.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Are the people you send the text to in Canada?
Userlevel 1
Yes all in canada
Userlevel 1
I found the problem... I lived in very small cities in New-Brunswick my whole life. Since this is my first cell phone in over 20 years & been using landline ever since, I been doing local calls using 7 digits.... On mobile using 7 digits to make calls works but for texting I have to use 1-506-***-****. It's something so simple but when it's your first time & you're extremely out of date with this stuff it's easy to overlook something so basic. So my mistake was putting the phone numbers in my contact using 7 digits instead of the entire 11 :)

Thanks to all those that helped though. Case closed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Actually, you only need 10 digits for North American destined texts, but adding the long distance prefix to your contacts is a good idea.

Thanks for sharing your story.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I found the problem... I lived in very small cities in New-Brunswick my whole life. Since this is my first cell phone in over 20 years & been using landline ever since, I been doing local calls using 7 digits.... On mobile using 7 digits to make calls works but for texting I have to use 1-506-***-****. It's something so simple but when it's your first time & you're extremely out of date with this stuff it's easy to overlook something so basic. So my mistake was putting the phone numbers in my contact using 7 digits instead of the entire 11 :)

Thanks to all those that helped though. Case closed.

I would've never though of it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Underlines the fact that for anyone getting a phone with Canada-wide (or North Amrerica-wide) calling, make sure your contact list always contains 1-###- where ### is the area code, then the 7-digit local number. Otherwise, if you make a call you may get a recorded message telling you the number you are trying to reach is long-distance/unavailable/etc.

Texting has no such automatic error-reporting mechanism.

You can always test your phone's calling/texting network health by sending yourself a text using the above number format.