Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Text Messages in Hang out

Why does my Nexus 5 require the data to be turned on in order to send/receive text messages in Hangout? I only have limited data plan and this makes no sense. Also can't open any picture texts.

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Hangouts isn't an app strictly for SMS/MMS messages, it also connects to Google+ for messages from that social network, which is why it requires data. Picture messages do require data to be turned on in order to send/receive them(Picture messages are included in every Koodo plan, so if you use data for this purpose, you won't be charged).
Userlevel 4
Matthew wrote:

Hangouts isn't an app strictly for SMS/MMS messages, it also connects to Google+ for messages fro...

You can download other texting apps and use those instead of Hangouts instead of using your limited data on features you'll never use. I use "Messanger" by Google. Find it in the playstore. It has a blue and white text-bubbles as its icon.
Userlevel 4
Here's what you need to know USING YOUR DATA ONLY FOR PICTURE MESSAGING (MMS) Brought to you by: The Koodo Mobile Masters with special thanks to Kid Android and Timo Tuokkola. Can you send regular text messages but not picture messages? SIM CARD BASED phones require a data connection in order to send picture messages. So if you, have data turned off or blocked these messages won't go through. "But wait" you say "My plan includes unlimited text and picture messaging and I want to use it but I don't want data because I feel it's too expensive (or whatever)". The Mobile Masters have your solution below. -=- FOR ANDROID DEVICES -=- (for iphone 3GS see Note 2) STEP 1: -=- Navigate to your current messaging app and delete any picuture message you previously tried to send but has failed. Navigate to Settings / Wireless controls / Mobile networks / access point names -=- METHOD 1. Find the Koodo.sp Apn and tap it to open it. Some phones will allow you to edit this APN, for those phones which will not allow you to edit the default APN (I.E the Samsung Galaxy S2x or The Galaxy Ace 2x), please skip to Method 2. Tap APN type and change it so it reads only "mms" then tap the menu key and select save APN once saved the 4g indicator should disappear. Please see: Note 1 METHOD 2 You'll be creating two APN's Add the first apn (usually by hitting the menu key and tapping ADD NEW) Note: in the example below please omit the spaces between the http: and the address This is done because some websites shorten URL's Input the following settings (leaving designated fields blank): APN NAME: Koodo (NoData) APN: spp.koodo.com Proxy server: Port: Username: Password: Server: MMSC: Proxy server: Port: MCC : 302 MNC : 220 APN type : default For APN Type we use "default" for this example but if it doesn't work for you go back and change it to "Internet" Save this entry (usually by hitting the menu key and selecting SAVE) Now create a Second APN using the following settings APN Name: Koodo MMS ALLOW APN: sp.koodo.com Proxy server: 74.49.0.18 Port: 80 Username: Password: Server: MMSC: http: //aliasredirect.net/proxy/koodo/mmsc Proxy server: 74.49.0.18 Port: 80 MCC : 302 MNC : 220 APN type :mms Now save this entry as you did the first. On the list of available Access Point Names you'll notice three (or more) entries. Select the "Koodo (NoDATA)" apn and make it active (you'll notice you can not choose the Koodo MMS ALLOW entry) Exit the APN menu. Reboot the phone (Shut it off and turn it back on) Turn off your WiFi Do you have data enabled? You can enable data by navigating Settings / Wireless and networking / Mobile Network Make sure 'use packet data' or enable data' is checked. If you have data blocked by Koodo you'll need to unblock it. You'll have to call customer service (1-866-99-Koodo) to have the block removed. After Data is Enabled: Open your browser and attempt to access any webpage OTHER THAN GOOGLE. You should get a message that the page cannot be displayed. If you do happen to get a web page double check your APN settings and try again. Note 1: (For Everyone to read) You'll notice the 3G or 4G data indicator has disappeared leaving only the Signal strength indicator. IF YOU HAD PREVIOUSLY TRIED AND FAILED TO SEND PICTURES IT MAY TAKE A FEW MINUTES FOR THE INDICATOR TO DISAPPEAR. When you do send a picture the Data indicator will re-appear and the picture should be sent. Same when you get a picture message. Note 2: (iPhone 3Gs) Apparently the APN is not easly configurable. You may need to be Jail Broken and download an APP called "Tetherme" which will allow you to edit the APN as per Method 2 (Thanks DJMcPimpin's Sister)
Userlevel 4
Matthew wrote:

Here's what you need to know USING YOUR DATA ONLY FOR PICTURE MESSAGING (MMS) Brought to ...

Use this if you're only going to be using Data for pictures, not browsing the web or anything like that. Otherwise, disregard this post.