Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Text from 611 re: new PIN

What do I use this PIN for? 

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Normally a pin is used to prove that you are the rightful owner of your account when you call Koodo. It is also used to listen to your voicemail from another phone. Never, ever give your pin out over text messages or to anybody who asks for it (except the agent when you call CS yourself).
This is my first phone so I wouldn't be listening to voicemails from another phone. I already set up a PIN for my Self-Serve account. How is this one different? Can I change this PIN, and if so, how do I do that?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jeff wrote:

This is my first phone so I wouldn't be listening to voicemails from another phone. I already set...

No, that's the one Jeff 🙂 You can indeed change it in self service, as you said. If you never need to call voicemail from another phone or need to speak to an agent, then you'll probably never need your pin code either.
Jeff wrote:

This is my first phone so I wouldn't be listening to voicemails from another phone. I already set...

The PIN that was texted to me from 611 is different than my Self-Serve PIN. When I try to change my Self-Serve PIN to the one that was texted to me, I get an error message that the PIN cannot start with a "0", so it would seem that the two PINS are for different things. Sorry, I'm a complete newbie at this....
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jeff wrote:

Haha that makes two of us... I know more about prepaid accounts. Would you mind posting the content of that text, without the actual pin code of course?
Jeff wrote:

I can't find the message anymore and it's not in my text messages. It was from 611 and it said "Your new PIN is...". At the top of the text window it said something like SIM card message. Hope that helps
Jeff wrote:

I see it now under "Manage SIM Card Messages" in messaging settings.. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jeff wrote:

Oooh maybe you set up a SIM card code! That one is indeed different from your online account. This is to lock the phone SIM card itself. Does it ask for the code when you restart your phone?
Jeff wrote:

No it doesn't prompt me to enter a code when I restart the phone. I didn't set up the code myself. 611 just sent it to me on their own.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jeff wrote:

I'm truly miffed then ^_^ I'll ask the question in our Mobile Masters group because most are much smarter than I am 🙂
Jeff wrote:

Ok thank you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jeff wrote:

Just got some brainstorming ideas back... It could be an older (obsolete) message that got stored somehow on your SIM card. If you did not set up for this, you can safely ignore it. If you're still worried about it, you can call CS if they sent you this message. That way you get to use your other pin, haha. I wouldn't worry about it too much though 🙂
Jeff wrote:

Ok thanks for looking into it. I think I'll call CS just in case.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jeff wrote:

Ok let us know what they say *curious minds need to know* 🙂
Jeff wrote:

They didn't know where it came from. The PIN code texted to me didn't match my current SIM card PIN. The rep thought it might have been sent by another phone company but really didn't know. It wasn't sent from Koodo according to their records.They stepped me through changing it just to be on the safe side. You can lock your phone in settings so if you shut off your phone and then re-start it, it will prompt you to enter that PIN. It's an extra layer of security if you want. You can leave it unchecked and not have to do that.