Community

Solved

Tethering S3 Galaxy

The devices connect but internet connectivity is limited

27 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Ralph,

You say that the devices connect to the hotspot made my your cellphone but does not have internet? If you have internet on your phone but not on the device that are connected to it, I'd say to reconnect again or restart your phone. 
Robert wrote:

Hello Ralph,

You say that the devices connect to the hotspot made my your cellphone but does not...

telus s3 but using koodo now and I believe telus software is preventing the connection. I have tried both bluetooth and the wifi hotspot. I have restarted multiple times. When I was on the telus plan I could tether via usb or wifi hotspot and share the connection.
Userlevel 6
Ralph, please provide more info. Are you trying to tether out of the S3 via USB or wifi hotspot? Or are you trying to connect your S3 to another device being utilised as a hotspot?
titaniumtux wrote:

Ralph, please provide more info. Are you trying to tether out of the S3 via USB or wifi hotspot? ...

no trying to use my s3 as hotspot and tether other devices to it eg. labtop or tablet
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
titaniumtux wrote:

Ralph, please provide more info. Are you trying to tether out of the S3 via USB or wifi hotspot? ...

Is your wifi off?  Can you create a mobile hotspot?
Userlevel 7
Check your APN settings... In particular add DUN to your APN Type
Chad Burr wrote:

how as I just see sp.koodo.com
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

In settings, [b]Network Connections -> More Networks -> Mobile Networks -> [b]Access Point Names you may have to hit an icon at the top right or left of the screen to enable [b]Add APN. Duplicate the Koodo values in the new APN but changing the [b]APN type to

[b]default,supl,mms,dun

Make your new APN active.[b]  (The values in the original one may be locked or greyed out).

Default Koodo values:[b]

Chad Burr wrote:

thanks. I will try it
Chad Burr wrote:

nope.

Chad Burr wrote:

cañt change apn type only save
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

Try disabling your antivirus and/or firewall on your computer. Sometimes these can block your internet from working if it thinks it's a suspicious connection.
Chad Burr wrote:

not a factor
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

Last question... are you on [i]prepaid with Koodo? I had issues with tethering when I switched from postpaid. Some features (forwarding, roaming outside US or Canada) are blocked or not implemented with prepaid.

Some phones don't allow editing of APN. You can try pulling out the SIM, creating/editing a new file and trying to activate it on restart with SIM reinserted.
Chad Burr wrote:

no I am on monthly data plan
Slightly different problem. My Koodo S3 has stopped tethering. I do not use it for the web, but I have important data to swap out. Has Koodo blocked tethering in recent updates? *** I read for hours last night. Tried USB codes. OEM cables, stuff almost over my head, debugging, uart, etc. Things that worked for Verison mobiles did not work. Perhaps the phone has gone bad... Just about out of hope. Dave
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dave Herron wrote:

Slightly different problem. My Koodo S3 has stopped tethering. I do not use it for the web, but I...

They haven't blocked tethering so you can scratch that off why it's not working for sure.
Userlevel 7
Dave Herron wrote:

Slightly different problem. My Koodo S3 has stopped tethering. I do not use it for the web, but I...

Check your APN settings... Make sure the APN Type includes DUN
Userlevel 6
Dave Herron wrote:

Verizon tethering work-arounds will probably be irrelevant because Koodo doesn't charge extra for tethering...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dave Herron wrote:

@Dave Herron
'Tethering' usually refers to using your cellphone to access the internet from a device other than you phone by connecting it through your phone to the cellular network. I believe you are trying to connect to your phone solely to download saved files. Recent versions of Android have a setting that causes the USB port to take on particular roles. It's normal state is charging, but you can change this through settings on the phone.
Once connected to your computer with a USB cable, swipe down from the top of the screen, and you should get a menu of options, one of which should be to transfer data.
Once there, your file transfers should be straightforward.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dave Herron wrote:

If you have a home wifi network and just want to copy or move files, install a utility such as WiFi Transfer Pro on the handset. When you launch the app, you get a message telling you to connect your pc through a browser at the ip address of the phone, typically something like 192.168.xxx.x:1234. The files on your phone will be visible in that browser window on your alternate device and can be downloaded from there.

No USB cables or settings to fuss with.
Dave Herron wrote:

TX Guys.
Getting the utilities...
Must leave Linux and boot Win.
Wish me luck.
Dave
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dave Herron wrote:

"Must leave Linux and boot Win" That would have been valuable information four days ago.
Dave Herron wrote:

I used the freebee for the moment...piece of cake and with Linux.
Now to find the SD card.
Super TX
If I get it working and access sd data, then may get "pro"...
Dave
ex bus driver in the wilderness
Dave Herron wrote:

Still trying to find non internal storage sd card...