Koodo Community

Community

Solved

temporary plan change - monthly

Hello,
I currently have the Koodo 30 Canada Wide monthly plan.  I would like to temporarily switch to a more expensive plan - possibly for two months?  I currently have 8 days left in my billing cycle.

Question:  Can I just go into self serve at the end of this billing cycle and switch?  Should I do it on the last day of this cycle under the old plan?  I want to be sure that effective my new billing cycle I have the minutes/data/etc. of that plan for the whole month, and am not subject to unexpected overage charges. 

I would be happy to switch now if it means that I finish up this month on the current plan and the new plan just kicks into effect on the first day of my new billing cycle, but I have read mixed information about how this works?

Thank you!

14 replies

And a related question...

If I switch from my Canada 30 with 100 mb of data to Canada 50 with 1 GB of data will the data be prorated for the remaining 8 days in my billing cycle?  So, am I correct in thinking it would look something like this:

Current Canada 30 plan - used 22 days out of 30, so would get a refund of about $8 for remaining days from this plan, to appear eventually on a future bill.

Switch TODAY to Canada 50, with a rate of about $50/30 per day, or $1.67 per day.  Will pay this for the remaining 8 days in my billing cycle, for a charge of about $13.36.

AND, if I have used 2 mb of my 100 mb of data on the previous plan I have certainly not gone over the pro-rated 100 mb/30 days (or roughly 3 mb per day) from that plan, so no overage data charge being carried forward.  AND, would I then have 1 GB (1000 mb) of data divided by 30 days in a month times the remaining 8 days left in this month, or about 266 mb of data free to use in the next 8 days? 

AND, if I then go over this 266 mb in the next 8 days, on the new Canada 50 plan, would I then get charged the Canada 50 overage charge of $5/250 mb?

If the above is basically correct, I want to change right now due to a change in my circumstances for the next couple of months at least.  Thank you for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes pro ration happens when your not changing plans on your billing cycle date. You would be charged the 8 days plus part of the new plan. As for the plan change, you can change but if that plan is not currently listed on the website for your area, you will not be able to switch back to it. Sometimes people with grandfathered plans or older plans with more data or what have you decide to stay with their plan so they don't lose it later.

My advice would be to wait until the day your self serve account says is the end of your billing cycle and change it that way(if you decide to bump up plans). I believe customer care are the only ones who can set it to change plans on a certain date in the future to avoid pro ration(though u will be charged most likely for calling to do a plan change.)

Before changing plans, really think about what you could need for usage in the next few months, and consider changing plans permanently. That way your not let down if your old plan is not able to be put back on your account.

Any more questions just ask.
Thank you for helping me understand this.

I am currently paying $30 per month for the Canada-wide, 200 min calling, unlimited texting, 100 mb plan.  I have been a Koodo customer since January of 2016, and I thought I heard this plan was going up to $35 per month shortly after I signed up?  But now I see that it is $30? 

Is this a summer sale?  Right now it seems that if I want to switch temporarily I can still switch back to my old plan.  But I don't know how often Koodo changes its plans?  And how much notice they give?  I don't need the $50 plan indefinitely, but I do need it in the short-term. 

I'm not sure if I should worry that the Canada 30 plan rate will change imminently?  Does anyone have any thoughts about this? 

Also, pro-ration...  as far as I understand this won't result in increased charges in that I will pay a pro-rated portion of the current plan, and be entitled to a refund of the value of the remaining 8 days? And I would only pay for 8 days worth of the new plan?  What, if any, is the disadvantage of switching plans mid month and having the billing pro-rated?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DS wrote:

I am currently paying $30 per month for the Canada-wid...

Your calculation above for proration is basically correct. 
You have to add what your minutes usage/proration too. And most people get large overage charge because of it . ( $0.5/min overage charge)

You have 200 min with your current plan, means 200min / 30days x 22days =  about 146 min by end of today.  (If you change it today, then 140 min)
If your minutes usage is under that number by end of today, then you don't need to worry about minutes overage.

If you are ok to pay a little extra for new plan to get more data/min, then I would go for it.  But if you can wait till your end of your billing cycle, it might be better(no hassle) 
And as Chadwick said, you can't get this plan back if this plan is gone when you want to switch back.
DS wrote:

Thanks for confirming that I am on the right track as to how this would work.
Some people have complained that pro-ration seems to result in larger bills, but I am under my phone minutes, and my data, so there would be no surprise overages for sure. I gather I might get a big bill but that it would all sort itself out eventually and I would not end up being overcharged, based on the pro-rated formula I outline above? I am a little worried about the plan price changing. I can't seem to figure out if it has been $30 all along, or if it was $35 and is lower now, maybe temporarily? That would be a factor, for sure. If anyone knows what the price for the lowest monthly plan has been in the past six months I'd love to have it confirmed that it has been $30? Any news about impending rate increases? Do they usually warn people? As I understand it, once I switch, either to a more expensive or a cheaper plan, what you have to watch is that you are within your minutes/data for the portion of the month that you are on each plan? And this is the only issue?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DS wrote:

If you are asking about $30 plans, yes, there has been many $30 plans.
But what included is all different.  Some $30 plan includes 100min +100 MB,200 min 0 data,  200 min+ 100 MB, 100 min+25 MB, 150 min+ 200 MB...etc

And if you are talking about the lowest plan in the last 6 months, there is $25 plan currently.  BUT it includes 100 LOCAL min which I hate. You will get $0.5/min overage charge if you make long distance calls.)
What's important is what's included with the price.

They don't usually give you warning to increase their price. Also, promo is coming and go.  It's always good to keep your eyes on their FB page/website. 
Good thing about Koodo is that you can keep your plan until you change it.
And if you want, you can change your plan once per billing cycle.  so if you see a good deal then you can change it. But you should compare what you will get (and what you will need) before change your plan.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DS wrote:

Just to add that the $0.50 charge for long distance is on top of using the local minutes. If you're out of minutes, you get charged for overage AND long distance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
To get the maximum value and flexibility out of a new plan, switch as closely as possible to your billing date. Keep in mind that you are allowed one change per billing cycle.

Do the first change a day before your bill cycle ends and you will pay 1/30th the value (and get 1/30th the benefit) but that will carry over in full force to the next cycle.

But two days later you can switch back without penalty if that's what you want to do, because a new bill cycle has started.

You can't erase previous "sins" by changing plans. Adding unlimited minutes or Goobs of data will not erase previous overages, since the plan change is a line in the sand where the [i]pro-rata concept kicks in.
Okay, this is what I was thinking?  So why wait until closer to my billing date?  If it's a 'line in the sand' I'm okay with that, because I've only used 19 mb of my 100 mb of data and 13 minutes of my 200 minutes of calling....  so I'm well under my prorated allocation if I switch today at day 22 of my month, roughly.  In my case, then, it seems that there is no penalty to switching today?  I would get an 8/30 benefit of the "new" data and calling plans?  So I just need to be careful to only use 8/30ths of the 'new' plan to avoid any extra costs, above the obvious pro-rated extra cost of the new plan?

Sorry, I'm just wary of cell phones.  I've only had one since January and with all the stories of people getting huge bills I want to be careful and make sure I understand what I'm doing to avoid this 🙂

Thanks for the info about being able to do this once per billing cycle.  Good to know! 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DS wrote:

Okay, this is what I was thinking?  So why wait until closer to my billing date?  If it...

If you're nowhere near your limit, then you can pretty well change whenever you want.

You get 8/30 of the benefit and cost of the new plan under your scenario for the next 8 days. After that, it'sfull speed ahead. If you think about it as a current daily allotment based on the current daily price, it will almost be easier to understand.

If you are a low volume user and never come near to your plan limits, I would recommend investigating prepaid. Your assets never expire as long as the basic fee is covered, and nothing ever gets tossed out the window at the end of the month. It looks like 500 Mb of data and 250 minutes will last you for almost a year.
DS wrote:

Okay, this is what I was thinking?  So why wait until closer to my billing date?  If it...

I see...   Starting to get the picture.  I still want to upgrade and I guess I'll just have to risk that I can't go back when my normal routine returns in a couple of months.  But, in the meantime, if I stay with my lower plan I know I will incur huge overage charges.  If I could just buy add-ons like with a prepaid phone that would be better, but since I can't I think I will just change plans in the meantime.  It seems like this is the best solution...
DS wrote:

Thank you!  You have confirmed it for me.  And I agree...  I am a low user of everything except, perhaps, texting.  I think when I am finished with the bigger plan I should probably look at that for sure!  Great idea.

Thank you everyone!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DS wrote:

All the prepaid plans include unlimited texting.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DS wrote:

DS, the overages on the newer plans are more like add-ons in the sense that you pay for a bucket of data rather than being billed per MB. Have you checked to see what the exact overage is on your plan?