Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Switching from pre-paid to plan...

I have been on a pay as you go plan with koodo for over a year now, however my phone has broken. I just purchased an Asus Zenfone 2 and I would like to put it on a plan. I have already paid my prepaid plan for the month (Auto top up) will I have to re-pay the full amount for the new plan or will my prepaid payment cover this months fee? Will I get some sort of account credit? Am I out of luck?
 The prepaid plan is 25 and the non pre-paid plan is $30. Renewed on the 7th of every month.

12 replies

Userlevel 3
If you want to go to a monthly plan they will have to run a credit check on you first. Best bet is to go to a koodo store and they can transfer your number and possibly the money you have on your pay as you go plan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Anything prepaid will not credit to post-paid or vice versa. Can't even use the same SIM card.

Only ethical option is to stop topping up your prepaid, wait till it's pretty well exhausted and then  register for a monthly.
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Anything prepaid will not credit to post-paid or vice versa. Can't even use the same SIM card.

O...

rather unfortunate... Seeing as my phone broke and has been completely useless since a week after my monthly fee, and will not be working before next months fee.

There should be some type of credit applied to your account when this type of thing happens.. seems like I'm paying close to $70 for my phone bill this month now. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

O...

You could put your current SIM in your new phone and continue your existing service.

BobTheElectrician wrote:

O...

I currently have a full sized sim. New phone only has a spot for a micro sim.
Userlevel 3
BobTheElectrician wrote:

O...

You could try cutting down the full size SIM to a microSIM. I bought a SIM punch online and it was about $5 or so, but it took a month to arrive. I understand you can use scissors or a knife, but I didn't want to risk damaging my SIM card. If you want to try cutting it down yourself, finding instructions online are not hard. Alternatively, sometimes there are little shops in malls that will do it for about $10. They just use the $5 punch and charge $10 😞 ...
Userlevel 4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

O...

Hi Rebecca,

Actually, your prepaid balance will be transferred as a credit on your new monthly account. They'll do that when the transfer in done in store. :) 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

O...

Is this a new policy? I hope Daniel is right.

Every post I have read here, including responses by employees, indicate that minutes and data are gone when you port the number.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

O...

I need/want to know about this too. If this is a new policy or limited time promotion?
How about if you have a booster? 
Userlevel 5
BobTheElectrician wrote:

O...

Hi there!

Just to clarify, this is not a new policy or a limited time promotion. If you have a remaining balance on your prepaid account, we will transfer this amount to your new postpaid account.  However we are talking about the balance on your prepaid account, we are not talking about your remaining minutes or data on your plan or boosters 🙂.

Hope this helps 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

O...

OK, so if you've spent $75 on minutes, data and renewing your plan in the last month, and now have $8. left in your account, Koodo will credit you the $8 but if you have a few hundred meg of data or minutes in your account, they are gone?

Very generous indeed...

My comment above of waiting till your plan is just about exhausted still stands, I'm afraid.
Userlevel 7
BobTheElectrician wrote:

O...

Yes that has always been a policy on prepaid and in fact discussed on here many times in the past. No other company refunds the money spent on the 30day plan and add-ons.