Koodo Community

Community

Switched my phone and unregistered sim.

I've had a pixel with koodo for the last year but I recently bought a galaxy S8 on kijiji unlocked. The sim card works perfectly fine in my pixel and when I switch it into my s8, which takes the same size nano sim, it says unregistered sim. Is there something I have to do on the site? HELP

48 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Are you sure the phone you bought is unlocked, and not reported stolen?
Sophia wrote:

I checked the IMEI on a checker and it says it is clean.
Sophia wrote:

How would I be certain that it is not locked?
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

The easiest way is to insert a nano SIM card from a different carrier. If that's not an option, dial #7465625*638*# from the phones' dialpad. If prompted to enter the Network Lock Control Key, your S8 is locked. To test if the unlock code is valid, dial #7465625*638*[b]CODE#  (replace [b]CODE with your unlock code). The screen should read: 'Network Lock Deactivated'.
Sophia wrote:

It was unlocked, I reentered the code and it said phone unlocked again. I used a Bell sim card and it worked fine...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Did you try restart your phone?
Mayumi wrote:

Many times. Taking it out after closing the phone and putting it back in before starting phone back up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mayumi wrote:

Is your SIM work if you put it back to pixel ?
Mayumi wrote:

Yup
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It could be the problem with the phone network selection mode. It might pick another carrier instead of Koodo. I would suggest resetting network settings or manually select Koodo in the Cellular carrier setting. I would normally factory reset all used phone before using it.

Have you seen the phone working before you bought with another carrier? "Unregistered SIM" is also a sign of a "blacklist" phone.
Dinh wrote:

It could be the problem with the phone network selection mode. It might pick another carrier inst...

When I select the manual way and click koodo, says it can't connect/error. It is unlocked and I have the code he used to unlock it.IMEI : xxxxxxxx
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dinh wrote:

It could be the problem with the phone network selection mode. It might pick another carrier inst...

Was it working when you get it from the person?
Dinh wrote:

He had already taken out his sim card.
Dinh wrote:

All i know is that he was with rogers
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dinh wrote:

Troubleshootings with issues like this at samsung or apple store always start with a Factory reset and updating software to the latest one. I would do it, and try once more. If the problem persist, you could ask someone with rogers or fido to test out.
If no one succeeds, the phone was properly blacklisted. Rogers might have just done it, and the IMEI haven't showed up on the database (they said there is 48 hours delay).
Dinh wrote:

Ive factory reset it twice already. Blacklisted means I cant use it on any network right? Is there a way to unblack list it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dinh wrote:

I would try with a Rogers or fido SIM then before jumping to conclusions.

Only carriers can report IMEI to be blacklisted. You could also contact Rogers and ask them if they did it. Only they have solutions, I am not sure.

Blacklisted phone could still be used in other part of the world where they don't block that phone IMEI.
Dinh wrote:

I will call rogers tomorow aswell as go see a koodo reprensentative at a store tomorow. Will update later, thanks for the help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dinh wrote:

If it's not black listed, then ask store rep if their demo/test SIM work on you phone.
It could be damaged on SIM reader.
Dinh wrote:

Is there anything I can do if it is blacklisted. Keep in mind I am still in contact with seller.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dinh wrote:

Just ask that person to refund the money and return the phone. Going to the police or his/her carrier is time consuming and you need to present all exchanges and receipt from him/her.
Badge +4
Dinh wrote:

It can take up to 48 hours for a phone to get blacklisted. I would contact Koodo and let them know you've purchased a new phone and provide them with the S8's IMEI number. This way if the seller decides to pull a fast one and reports the phone lost or stolen days, weeks or months after the fact, you will at least have record or a note on your file that proves the phone is in your possession.

Send a private Facebook message to Koodo or direct message via Twitter. Links are are at the bottom right of this page.
Dinh wrote:

Dm'd them on facebook.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dinh wrote:

The S8 is from Rogers initially. Koodo cannot do anything to that if it is not their phone.

Userlevel 6
Dinh wrote:

For a Rogers S8, if it's unlocked, then it won't work on Rogers/Fido if it's a collections block. If the original owner claimed it as lost or stolen for insurance fraud, then it'll be blacklisted across all Canada/US carriers.