Koodo Community
Solved

Sudden High data usage

My phone is tearing through data. 6.7GB in 2 weeks. Gmail has also racked up a 2.7 GB in 2 weeks.Normal usage is ~2 GB/month. 

I reviewed my usage on Koodo site and found many instances of exactly 100.000 MG charges and 200.000 MG charges. Sometimes 3 in one day.  Koodo has no answer. Has anyone else experienced this?

icon

Best answer by Dinh 30 May 2021, 18:05

There are 2 issues there.

First is the rounding number of 100/200/300MBs, it is the way Koodo reported data usage, it doesn’t mean the phone used 100MB at a certain time. There are  similar threads in the forum about it. Here is one

Second is the high data usage than normal. If you already identified Gmail as the app that consumed more data, I suggest you check into the usage of that app and email attachment. Also, look for issues with Facebook/youtube/instagram app. You could also disable cellular usage for those apps in your phone.

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There are 2 issues there.

First is the rounding number of 100/200/300MBs, it is the way Koodo reported data usage, it doesn’t mean the phone used 100MB at a certain time. There are  similar threads in the forum about it. Here is one

Second is the high data usage than normal. If you already identified Gmail as the app that consumed more data, I suggest you check into the usage of that app and email attachment. Also, look for issues with Facebook/youtube/instagram app. You could also disable cellular usage for those apps in your phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

My phone is tearing through data. 6.7GB in 2 weeks. Gmail has also racked up a 2.7 GB in 2 weeks.Normal usage is ~2 GB/month. 

I reviewed my usage on Koodo site and found many instances of exactly 100.000 MG charges and 200.000 MG charges. Sometimes 3 in one day.  Koodo has no answer. Has anyone else experienced this?

I find the Background App Refresh function tends to use a lot more data than you expect it. I would suggest you to turn it off to converse your data. https://www.technipages.com/galaxy-s8-note8-enable-disable-background-data

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Also, if your gmail account is set up to download attachments as soon as the e-mail comes in, this might explain why you racked up so much data in Gmail. Make sure you disable this option!