Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Stolen phone. Can a service provider lock my phone or shut it off?

My store got robbed and the suspects stole my phone. Can a mobile service provider shut down my whole phone and lock it or scramble the info on my phone?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Google android device manager

Google software on your phone will allow you to locate and ease your phone

Then log into slfserve and use the links to report your phone stolen.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

Google android device manager

Google software on your phone will allow you to locate and ease...

Just make sure you do the android device manager thing first. Because once you report it stolen your cell services will be cut and you wont be able to use your data services to locate or wipe your phone
Userlevel 4
The only way to be able to erase and reset a phone that was stolen, the phones owner must have set up the security to do so(Like Apples "Find my iPhone" app, or googles Android equivalent). If neither of these were set up, then unfortunately no, there isn't a way to do so. What can be done is if you were to call Koodo and report your phone as Stolen, they can put a block on your service so whomever stole the device can't be using it to call, text or use your data. If anyone tries to activate the phone, it will be red flagged and deemed unable to activate(unless you get it back and report it as found to Koodo).
Userlevel 6
Go to self serve to block your phone. Go to the tab menu MOBILE PHONE, then below the tab click LOST/STOLEN PHONE then selct from the drop down menu STOLEN DEVICE. This will ensure the person that stole it can't unlock it for their own use
Badge +4
Sorry to hear this Nick. The answer is no. Your best option is to call Koodo and report the phone stolen. The phone will get blacklisted and can't be used on any network in North America and will stop any unauthorized usage. As for the personal information stored on the phone, you can try using Android Device Manager to hopefully locate and wipe the device. Note: If your device is offline or powered off, Android Device Manager won't be able to ring, lock, or erase the device until there’s a mobile data or Wi-Fi connection. https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/3265955?hl=en
Userlevel 6
rikkster wrote:

Sorry to hear this Nick. The answer is no. Your best option is to call Koodo and report the phone...

You can block it with self serve instead of calling in
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

Sorry to hear this Nick. The answer is no. Your best option is to call Koodo and report the phone...

Good point, thank you Cameron.