Koodo Community

Still Roaming even with International SIM and unlocked phone

I've been in France 2 weeks using an international SIM card through TravelSIM. Although I recently got my monthly Koodo bill and it was upwards of $130.00. Turns out, I was somehow still roaming even though I was using a different SIM card. I quickly called up Koodo and they, after 1.5 hours on hold I'll add, told me it was due to my phone not being unlocked and if rectified this, it would solve the roaming issue. So I got the unlock code and successfully unlocked my Samsung S8 (SMG950W).

Problem is: it still operates in a roaming state. How do I fix this?
icon

Best answer by David AKU 13 October 2018, 23:50

Removing the Koodo SIM prevents roaming. It is impossible to roam on a SIM not in the SIM tray.

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Removing the Koodo SIM prevents roaming. It is impossible to roam on a SIM not in the SIM tray.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You were told that it's because your phone wasn't unlocked? That's so not how it works. If you put in another sim card it isn't even supposed to work at all if it's locked. It's supposed to immediately ask for an unlock code. You used a different sim card in a locked phone? That's not supposed to work at all. You should contact Koodo again and ask for a refund because thats just plain wrong if it is exactly as you described.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Does your detailed pdf ebill say the charges are for roaming?

How do you know it is in a roaming state?
Dennis wrote:

My PDF eBill says absolutely nothing about roaming charges, just my basic details (messages, data, airtime). The way I know it's roaming is that on the notification tray you have an icon detailing your network connection strength (LTE+, 4G, 3G, etc.) and when you're roaming a little "R" is displayed on the icon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
HolidayCharade wrote:

Dennis wrote:

My PDF eBill says absolutely nothing about roaming charges, just my basic details (messages, data, airtime). The way I know it's roaming is that on the notification tray you have an icon detailing your network connection strength (LTE+, 4G, 3G, etc.) and when you're roaming a little "R" is displayed on the icon.

So what was the overage charges for on your $130 pdf ebill? It must say the details why there were extra charges?

Was your koodo sim in your phone while you are roaming?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
HolidayCharade wrote:

The way I know it's roaming is that on the notification tray you have an icon detailing your network connection strength (LTE+, 4G, 3G, etc.) and when you're roaming a little "R" is displayed on the icon.

You may be roaming on the TravelSIM. Although it offers good prices in many countries, it cannot be native to all of them, and may not be native to ANY of them, thus the roaming icon.

As Dennis asks, "So what was the overage charges for on your $130 pdf ebill? It must say the details why there were extra charges? "