Koodo Community

Something great for BYOD customers

• 9 December 2012
  • 38 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for comments

38 replies

Customers who like to buy their high end phones themselves would see little to no benefit from bu...Same. I was going to try the 3.1 beta that was posted on xda a day or 2 ago, but figured I'll wait until its out of testing. 3.0 is running fine at the moment. The only benefit I personally have from buying a phone out right, is freedom. Freedom in knowing that at anytime, if a better deal pops up somewhere else for service (unlikely), I can. I'd much rather be motivated by plan discounts, but oh well. the One X+ is a nice phone, no arguing that at all. I've been considering the Nexus 4, but since the damn thing is always out of stock, it has been an easy decision not to. What hangs me up with the Nexus 4 is the lack of an external SD slot, very ungoogle like. Another thing I'd like to see, is rooting and flashing roms not voiding warrantys anymore. Sony of all people released a flashing tool for their phones in an effort to warm up to devs. Need more of that stuff going on. I mean I don't void my warranty on my laptop if I install and dual boot linux, I shouldn't void it if I install a custom OS on my phone. I can see why they do void the warranty, because some dummy not knowing what they are doing can easily brick their phone. So really in my mind, Manufactures should make it easier to install custom roms, and limit the damage custom roms can cause.
Userlevel 6
Customers who like to buy their high end phones themselves would see little to no benefit from bu...Google dropped expandable storage since the Nexus S so it's quite "Google like". They explained why & also devices shipping with ICS & up can only move media to the SD card not Application Data. I've had all Nexus devices (N4 & 10 have been ordered) as well as a few from other OEM's. Personally, lack of SD storage doesn't matter as long as you have at least 16GB.
Userlevel 6
Customers who like to buy their high end phones themselves would see little to no benefit from bu...This problem could be easily solved. When you install an OS on a PC, the absolute worst you can do is bork the installation. You end up with a PC that can't boot, but the hardware is otherwise intact. Phones OUGHT to behave the same way. Filling up landfills with bricked phones because you want to try software and you somehow goof up is NOT acceptable. It has to be like the PC. Rookie PC users often do goof up all the time, and all they have to do if they absolutely can't figure things out is call the nearest geek and they're up and running in no time, no harm done to the hardware. There IS a solution, but they'd rather sell you another phone, of course.
Customers who like to buy their high end phones themselves would see little to no benefit from bu...Yeah guess your right. Why did they remove the option in ics to move apps to sd? I like the sd option for the sake of an upgrade. Same with removable batteries. I'm an upgrade junkie, so the more things I can modify easily the better. It's why I stayed away from laptops for so long, less stuff you can easily upgrade vs a desktop.
Customers who like to buy their high end phones themselves would see little to no benefit from bu...I've heard great things about jtagging to recover hard bricked phones, but it's not something the average user has the equipment to do.
Userlevel 6
Customers who like to buy their high end phones themselves would see little to no benefit from bu...I suspect to prevent OEM's from releasing phones with sub-par internal storage then relying on SD like 200MB that's expandable like older LG's & Samsung's.
Customers who like to buy their high end phones themselves would see little to no benefit from bu...Makes sense I guess. Although I really missed that ability on my 8gb a100 tablet
Userlevel 6
Customers who like to buy their high end phones themselves would see little to no benefit from bu...@John Burke: Having no expandable storage is a small problem most people can live with. What kills it is lack of choice. The iPhone gives you choice, 16, 32 and 64GB. You choose what you want, and it's perfect this way (of course Apple overprices, but that is another topic). Google should have introduced 16, 32 and 64GB models of the N4. I'd buy a 64GB N4, for 100-150$ more, but I won't buy a 16GB model as it simply isn't enough. A road trip to the States? No way I'm paying roaming to stream Google Music all along. A 64GB model would solve that.
Userlevel 7
Both Bell and Virgin offer 10% off any plan you activate on a MTM... which works best on Virgin because of that $56 promo + Virgin runs on Bell, who has the best network to begin with. Koodo definitely needs something like a discount for customers showing their unlocked phones some El Tabador love.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Both Bell and Virgin offer 10% off any plan you activate on a MTM... which works best on Virgin b...Ya 10% is alright but you still have the option to purchase a device (which is subtidized) from that company when you want. If you eliminate that option (because ppl who buy carrier free unlocked devices usually continue to buy carrier free unlocked devices) to even be able to buy one of the company's devices (which are subsidized) and just make it a flat out service & nothing more type plan it should drop the discount even further. This is also great because I'm sure many devices give koodo headaches having to deal with ppl with issues with these devices that koodo has no fault in but ppl still believe they do because koodo provide a place to purchase said device. The more ppl that would see this plan and realize that if they pay full price for an unlocked carrier free device from an online retailer that they could save huge monthly on their actual plan and save more in the long run I think it will draw ppl away from Bell or Rogers. Most ppl go to Bell or Rogers and pay the higher priced plans is because they want these high end devices and many of them do not know that you can buy carrier free unlocked devices from an online retailer. They complain about bloatware which these devices don't have because they arnt tied to a carrier. They complain about updates taking so long which carrier free unlocked devices get updated months before carrier branded models because there is no bloatware added or carrier testing of these updates before they are released for the device. I think this would be huge for Koodo and give them a head start on where I believe mobile phone service is headed. - KID ANDROID, ( Team.Android.Canada)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I see Telus is Giving BOYD customers $100 credit, so let's hope something is coming to Koodo soon. Unfortunately the Telus offer is for New Customers which I hope won't be the case if something like this comes to our beloved Koodo 🙂

Userlevel 7
I see Telus is Giving BOYD customers $100 credit, so let's hope something is coming to Koodo soo...It's actually been going on for a while 😛 Like I mean a while lol. Looks new, but it's not. It would be nice to see Koodo offer something though!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I see Telus is Giving BOYD customers $100 credit, so let's hope something is coming to Koodo soo...Oh, I only look at Telus every Now & Then & this is the first time I noticed it. My bad lol. Still it would be great to have a just service offer with a discount & no tab. Thanks Ahmad 🙂