Koodo Community

Community

Something great for BYOD customers

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
T-Mobile is ending subsidized phones in 2013 making the phones more expensive but plans cheaper because the subsidized price of the phones will no longer be worked into the price of the plans. Well it made me think of another option Koodo should have for its customers. That is if you bring your own device you should get like 20% or so off your bill. Ppl say well you start at $0 on the Tab and you can work your way up but along with my other idea comes not having a tab at all. This would be good for customers like myself that plan on buying unlocked versions of phones all the time. It's becoming a very popular thing buying unlocked models of phones like the Galaxy Note series, The Galaxy S series, Nexus Series, ect and usually these customers continue to buy these unlocked phones once they start. I think a new type of plan with a discount and no tab plan would be a very big draw as more and more ppl find out the advantages of buying one of these unlocked models. I also think this is a great way to get more high end phone users to leave Bell or Rogers. What does everyone else think? - KID ANDROID, ( Team.Android.Canada) PS Here's an article on what T-Mobile doing in 2013 http://m.gizmodo.com/5966363/t+mobile-is-ending-subsidies-in-2013++that-means-expensive-phones-and-cheap-plans

38 replies

Userlevel 6
Tab is also their way of retaining customers & building brand loyalty. 20% I don't see happening, though 5-10% pre-tax would maybe be more feasible for them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Burke wrote:

Tab is also their way of retaining customers & building brand loyalty. 20% I don't see happeni...

Ya but you don't think that all the ppl on Bell and Rogers that buy high end devices would look at Koodo way different and buy the devices elsewhere and come to Koodo if there was a nice chunk of a discount? Doesn't matter for you because your lucky and are in the states right now on T-Mobile about to get some amazing deals on service. Lucky bast**d lol
John Burke wrote:

Tab is also their way of retaining customers & building brand loyalty. 20% I don't see happeni...

I think bell and Rogers, and tellus for that matter generate most of their customer base from people that want low upfront cost on new phones. It certainly isn't the plans, that's for sure. Not saying this idea doesn't have merit, I just think it caters to a different demographic then the typical big 3 user.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Burke wrote:

No because most ppl go to Bell or Rogers because they have a huge selection of high end phones. If they realized they could pay a little more up front for a device and bring it to Koodo and not be locked into a contract and get low price service I guarantee they'd do it, heck who wouldn't?
Userlevel 6
John Burke wrote:

@ KID ANDROID: Don't be hating on my 50$ unlimited anytime nation-wide talk, TXT & unlimited data with no throttling, LoL. Where T-Mobile differs is they charge 15$ to tether & 10$ to TXT Canada (Google Voice has me covered though for free). *goes back to streaming on Netflix*
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Burke wrote:

Haha nice. Ya ya rub it in man. Your Netflix in the US is so much better to. Nothing a VPN service can't fix but more money outta pocket errrrr.
Userlevel 1
John Burke wrote:

I have VPN for $3.99 for 5 gb Kid. It last you forever. All you have to do when you start your movies on netflix is to pause them, then turn your VPN off. It will continue to work without eating any more data. At least on the app I have.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Burke wrote:

What's the app called?
Userlevel 3
Any extra savings sounds good to me though 20% seems kinda high. I'm a unlocked junky myself so I would see a value in this.
Makes sense. I'd give up the tab for cheaper plans, or at least be able to apply my tab to a bill
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I just heard that Tmobile plans are expected to drop by like 25% because of what they're doing cutting subsidized phones.
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

I just heard that Tmobile plans are expected to drop by like 25% because of what they're doing cu...

25 percent is a big chunk. Source link?
Userlevel 2
Hey Kid, this is a great idea. We'll take it under consideration and should we make a decision, we will let everyone know 🙂.
Userlevel 6
Customers who like to buy their high end phones themselves would see little to no benefit from building positive tab though. More often than not, phones offered by Koodo will be overlooked by those power users and they won't see any advantage to their positive tab. They would surely prefer the same amount (10%) applied to their monhtly bill as a discount. The other (GREAT!) option would be to keep the tab system as it is right now (make the positive cap unlimited), but to offer all the high end phones that Telus offers. Now, power users would likely be glad they have positive tab when shelling out $500-600 for their next device. The S2X is a good example. We all know Koodo got the unsold overstock from Telus last summer. How else would you explain that somehow, Koodo sold the phone for $300 while it was still $600 at Telus... I'm guessing Koodo sold a bunch of S2X's and that explains why they took a chance and brought us the SGS3 in the end. Or, better yet, offer the choice. Monthly rebate, or unlimited positive tab for next phone purchase, given the phone selection will be worthwhile.
Userlevel 5
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

Customers who like to buy their high end phones themselves would see little to no benefit from bu...

No advantage to the positive tab? +150 to -150 equals to $300. The SIII is $550 - $300 = You only pay $250! You saved $300! In my opinion, that is quite a lot. The tab gives freedom in choosing which plan you want and you are able to change it anytime you want! (Once a month). If we had unlimited positive tab, just imagine those who have the $57 plan right now... that's like almost $60, which 10% of that is $6, multiply 12 months = $72! Koodo would be losing too much money in my opinion. Maybe cap the positive and negative tab to 200, so you can get up to $400?
Userlevel 6

Customers who like to buy their high end phones themselves would see little to no benefit from bu...

The positive tab is great *as long as* the phone selection is as great! What I meant is, imagine this... You have a nice $150 positive tab (300$ credit on a phone). How do you use it to buy a One X+? Or maybe a Note II? A nice Lumia 920? Nope! Unless you want an S3 (which I agreee, is nice!), you're SOL. I still think Koodo should give the choice, a 10% monthly discount for users who don't use the tab at all, or the same tab system as it is right now with unlimited positive AND as large a phone selection as Telus.
Userlevel 5

I see your point now. Koodo does have a weaker phone selection than others and I truly think it's one of their cons but I think Koodo is trying to fix that! But the thing with the 10% discount is that is 100% money they are giving you. The tab however, they do not "have" to give it to you. If one cancels and decides to leave, that positive tab balance is gone and Koodo doesn't need to give any money. Plus you only use the tab to get a new phone and some people don't even stay long enough to build up a positive tab so Koodo doesn't have to pay them anything. I get your idea but the 10% discount to bill is 100% losing money for Koodo. I mean, if you were offered that choice, who would choose the tab? You can get 10% off your monthly bill which is money you save every month while the tab is IF you get a new phone you MAY save SOME money. Do you get what I am trying to say? Sorry if it's complicated and a bit confusing. It's tough explaining.
Userlevel 6

Koodo is not really losing money there. They sell wireless services, the return on investment on this type of service is *more* than adequate. More so, T-Mobile has its mind set on doing away with subsidies altogether and reducing monthly bills by an even larger chunk than 10%. So, they don't lose money, it's just less of pure profit. It's like when you take a walk and find $20 on the ground. If you find $20, you're richer, but if you don't, you're not any poorer. And everytime you take a walk and don't find any money on the ground, you don't feel like: "Man, this walk sucked, I did not find any bill laying down...", lol Maybe Koodo and Telus should split duties. Both should offer the same exact phones, high end through low end. Telus offers contracts and subsidies, with shitty plans, like is the case right now. Koodo should offer aggressively priced plans, and sell the phones outright. No tab, no nothing. Just like T-Mo is attempting to do. And an aggressively priced plan is just about the same as a fairly priced plan with a 10% applied discount..... 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@TopperCNC I don't get what your saying about the tab? My idea would eliminate the tab for ppl who buy unlocked high end devices and bring them to koodo service. (the tab is useless for ppl who want unlocked carrier free devices) In exchange for not having the tab system we would be offered a percentage of a discount off our bills every month. The idea of koodo offering of high end devices doesn't help those who don't want a carrier branded device but an unlocked international model of a phone. My idea helps anyone and everyone that brings any high end device (carrier branded but unlocked or factory unlocked models) over to koodo service. Since we are not taking advantage of Koodos subsidized phones our plans should not have that subsidy increase placed into the price of the plan/service. It's just a flat out service only deal. To make this deal it might be that the customer has to give up any right to purchase phones from koodo at all which we are not doing anyways so it shouldn't matter. - KID ANDROID, ( Team.Android.Canada)
Userlevel 6

@KID: Pal, we're basically saying the same thing, worded differently, lol. The difference is that with your idea, Koodo completely stops selling phones. My idea was that they contiunue selling devices, but without any kind of subsidies. However, I agree your idea is even better in the sense that by completely stopping selling devices, Koodo avoids a lot of costs by having its customers deal with every device-related issue they might encounter. Support costs money, and by no longer offering support, Koodo might pass on the savings to its customers in the way of lower monthly bills. I agree with you 100% on this.
Userlevel 6

It would also be great to get help from device manufacturers on this topic. Apple does this right: they sell unlocked iPhones from the Apple Store. Granted, they're too expensive (they're iPhones after all), but if HTC, Samsung, HTC and other manufacturers would start selling the phones themselves, unlocked from the factory without any branding, THEN we would see a real shift in the wireless business.

I think in the next 5 to 10 years that's exactly what your going to see, more unbranded phones and a total destruction of the contract model. A smart phone is basically a computer, and you wouldn't let your pc get branded and locked down by your isp. Well, maybe you would if you''re a Mac user 😉. Ok that was a shameless dig, I'm sorry.
Userlevel 6

There's another beneficial side effect to buying phones outright and have lower monthly bills. I've seen many people get overjoyed and get a very nice phone for cheap (or even free), and then get hammered with a $70 monthly bill. If you can't afford to buy a phone outright, I doubt you can afford a $70 monthly bill. These people then realize they can't afford their plan, and get raped trying to get out of the contract. Buying outright forces you to get your finances straight before the big spend, and then enjoy a lower monthly plan which you'll be able to afford much more easily.

Agreed. And if more people are actually buying a phone out right, I think you'll start seeing a drop for the total price of a phone. I mean for the price, the LG Nexus 4 is a sweet deal, and pretty affordable when compared to the buy out price of an SIII. I really hope Google jump starts a Trend with this phone. I try to always buy out my phones, thus why I'm rocking an SII X vs the SIII. I just can't justify dropping the coin on the SIII yet, not when the SII X is still running great for me. Oh btw TopperCNC, thanks for the tip on SlimBean! My phone is running so smooth now I haven't been able to stop playing with it!
Userlevel 6

SlimBean is sweet. I'm waiting for official 3.1 for our Hercules. On a related note, buying outright seems to be the way to go right now, although the reward for shelling up front still remains to be seen (in the form of a discount on the plan). I'm leaning towards buying the OneX+ because of the 64GB onboard memory, but that Tegra3 kills it somewhat (graphics wise)... Still undecided. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the S2X as much as you do!