Koodo Community

Community

Solved

So lets say i add 'easy roam' and i go down to the states and send one text. What would it cost for the one text?

easy roam

29 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
$7 Once you send a text, make a call etc., easy roam is activated and you are charged the $7/$10 and have access to your plan for 24 hours.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
So if you are only going to use a tiny amount of texting, you're better off keeping it disabled and only when you can justify the price turn it on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You don't have to add 'easy roam' when you go to travel. You just need to pay "Pay per use rates".
Pay per use rate for Text in the State is $5/100 outgoing texts.
https://www.koodomobile.com/help/easy-roam
Thanks, So there is a toggle somewhere so i can turn this thing off and on?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
garry wrote:

Currently you have to contact Koodo to have it removed.
garry wrote:

So if one day i need to talk to all of my friends and my family because i won the lottory, it would be worthwhile having easy roam activated, the next day i just need to text  once to my boss to say Im quitting, and i didn.t want to be charged $7 for the one text, I would actually have to contact Koodo? really?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
garry wrote:

Is $7 really that much to tell your boss you're quitting because you won the lottery? I'd want to call and hear the incredulity in his / her voice!
garry wrote:

Right, well suppose the event is not winning the lottery, suppose i'm being put in debtors prison.
Look, the point i am making is that Koodoo is buying by the ton and selling by the square foot. If koodoo can make money by providing unlimited texts, voice etc (or limited only by my home plan) for $7/day, and obviously they can, then why not create an algorithm that automatically kicks their customers into that plan on any day that 'pay per use rates' exceed $7? I mean don't they LIKE having customers?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
garry wrote:

Well current pay per use rates in the US are $5/100 so you'd only save $2 anyways. I do agree though, there should be some way to disable it on your own.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
garry wrote:

@garry: carriers cannot change your plan without your consent. The addon is part of it. They couldnot "automatically" switch.

Another reason is the profit-making mindset of the carriers, unless they have to due to  regulations or strong customers request, they won't help customers saving their money.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
garry wrote:

@Azure123,
   YES, carriers can change your plan, as long as they give you notice.  Generally Koodo has chosen not to do so, and to my knowledge hasn't changed grandfathered plans, but other carriers definitely have done so.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
garry wrote:

@garry,
    Part of the price point of $7 is that all users won't consume the full amount. Some days there is 1 text, others 2 GB of data. If it were to be pay-per-use until some arbitrary level is reached, the base price would increase to cover the cost.  While in Canada, most customers do not reach their monthly data limit, and those that purchase extra, do not fully consume that extra bit. The carriers count on folks buying extra as insurance to not run out of data to keep the costs lower than if they had to fulfill the entire purchase made by customers. This is in part why pre-paid is not as cheap for larger data plans than is post-paid.

garry wrote:

Well Allen I may be wrong, and if i am please tell me if I am, but the way I read it I get a hundred texts for five bucks. There is nothing said about them being on the same day. So if im in San Fran for ten days and I send ten texts a day. that's a hundred texts and I should get that for five bucks. If I add 'easy roam'  those same texts are going to cost me seventy bucks.
David I have no idea how carriers buy capacity from each other but i assume it  is in large blocks somehow scaled to volume/price. Perhaps you know. It would be interesting. I would suspect that roaming services are one of the most lucrative parts of their business, $1.50/min for voice? seriously? it would be cheaper to use pigeons. The idea that the users who use only a little should pay for those who use a lot, lacks logic and leaves most of us feeling like someone should kiss us. How about everyone just paying a fair price for what they use? If I want a daily rate i can get a talk and text plan for four bucks/day with a US sim.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
garry wrote:

You're completely right. As someone who texts a lot and would definitely use more than 100 in a day this didn't even cross my mind.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
garry wrote:

Easy roam is really not designed for people who only want to text. It's designed for those who wish to use voice ($1.50/minute) or data ($5/MB) services. For texting only, the pay per use rates are clearly far cheaper.
garry wrote:

Can you clarify? If I am in the US and I send one text, Do they charge me the $5 pay per use rate? If yes, am I allowed 99 more texts for all the time I am there or am I only allowed 99 more texts for that day or is the $5 charge for a set period of time while in the US?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
garry wrote:

Think of it as the first text is $5, and the next 99 are free. I believe those texts are good until the end of your billing cycle. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
garry wrote:

I would like someone to respond who knows for sure if the $5 covers up to 100 texts till the end of the billing cycle
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
garry wrote:

Yes that is the case.
garry wrote:

Does it matter when using EasyRoam if you are on data (cellphone towers) or using WiFi? Same charges regardless?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
garry wrote:

If you use any cellular data, talk, text, you pay the daily rate per 24 hours. WiFi will not trigger it. Then you use your phone with the same data and talk allotments as you have on your plan normally.
garry wrote:

My wife is going to Cuba for about 3 weeks, she's not tech. savvy & just want to have her phone for "in case" someone needs to reach her; so the main (only)  communication will be texts. She has "Easy Roam" ($10/day) but is asking to confirm the following questions:
1. if she is in a [b]WIFI hotspot and opens a received text, will she be charged?
2. if she replies to that sent text or send a text from a [b]WIFI hotspot; will she be dinged the $10/day fee?
3. would it be better to have pay-per-use instead of Easy Roam?
We've looked though the Help sections and this thread but haven't found a clear answer....  Sorry for  the long winded paragraph, just want to make sure!
Thank you
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
garry wrote:

One quick question...what plan is she on and what is her bill cycle date? These two pieces of info could vary what maybe the best option for her. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
garry wrote:

1. receiving text messages is free, there will be no charge. 2. Text messages are not sent using data, so it makes no difference if you are in a WiFi zone or not. You would be charged. 3. If all she'd be using is minimal texting, the answer is generally yes. Easy roam international is $10 a day, pay per use text messages are, I believe, $0.60 per message sent. She would need to send roughly 20 text messages a day for easy roam to be cheaper for just texting.
garry wrote:

Bernard, she's on the $49/mth plan (6GB/unlimited... ), Mth xx. 25-Mth xx. 26 cycle.

Timo, is there a $15 plan for text available for Cuba? How do we get it?

Thanks