Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Smashed phone, got a new one. Moving stuff from old to new?

Wrecked old phone (Nexus 4) so it's screen no longer functions. Bought a new one yesterday. The guy who sold it to me didn't seem to think I could transfer all of my photos/contacts/etc. onto this new one (Nexus 5). There has to be a way to do this so everything I had isn't lost right? He gave me a new Sim card for this phone instead of transfering the one from the old phone for some reason. I mean I'm not super educated with cell technology, but there has to be a way to do this.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
If you don't have a screen/password lock on the old phone and you can plug it into a computer then you can navigate through the files, save any important info to your PC, then transfer it to your new phone. Contacts and calendar info can be saved to your Google account so if you did that, then when you log into your Gmail on your new phone, everything shows up again. If you had all your contacts saved onto the phone then it'll be tougher to get them off.
Of course I had it screen locked, lol. Anything to make it more complicated. So I'm just screwed then? I'm sad all my pictures are gone. Sigh, I guess that's why I should have backed them up. Thanks for the response, Johnathan. Have a great.weekend, Cheers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
L Apple, It's now my field of exeprtise, so here's a thread talking about it : http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-4/help/retrieve-photos-locked-screen-carcked-t2210955 Read through it for more info or here's the solution though it didn't work for this guy Like others my nexus 4 has received a nasty crack, cant enter password, aint rooted, I did have google+ enabled but seem to be missing lots of photos. I followed steps below but dont have access to my data yet: (Not appearing in windows explorer (Win 8.1) after quite a few attempts) Step 1 : Switch off your Nexus ! Step 2 : Go to stock/custom recovery by Vol. down + Power button! Step 3 : Connect device with PC via USB! Step 4 : Wipe Cache! Step 5 : Reboot ! And voila!! Mass storage will be mounted ! Am i correct in my reading of latest posts that because i am running MAKOZ30o (4.4.2) this exploit has now been fixed? Is there a few refined steps now applicable or will this require running some type of emulator and adb commands? Other info : http://techglen.com/2014/01/15/how-to-recover-data-from-nexus-4-or-5-broken-screen/ http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/264943-help-nexus-4-locked-cracked-screen-how-can-i-retrieve-photos.html http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-4/help/recovering-pictures-unrooted-locked-t2555557 PS : Google's really your best friend, you know? Hope your problem gets solved!
Userlevel 1
Can you not even see the lock screen at all when you turn it on? Or is your screen not functioning meaning it isn't responding to touch?
B2theden wrote:

Can you not even see the lock screen at all when you turn it on? Or is your screen not functionin...

It is on. You can see the lock screen. Because of where the screen cracked I am unable to enter my code (I'm dumb and having never broken a phone before it's a pattern to unlock. I didn't realize if I cracked it the touch screen won't work, making that the worst possible option.) to unlock. I actually can't even turn if off using the screen because I can't even click on "OK" when it asks me to power off.
Badge +4
You can pick up a micro USB to OTG adapter cable from a computer shop and attach either a wired mouse directly to the cable or a wireless dongle for a wireless mouse. Once everything is connected to the phone, an arrow cursor will appear on your phones' screen. You should now be able to draw the unlock pattern with your mouse or click 'ok' to turn the device off. This mouse 'workaround' works on some of the older phones I have like the Galaxy Ace and Galaxy S2x, right on up to the Moto G and HTC One M8 and should work with your Nexus 4.

Userlevel 1
Rikkister stole the words right out of my mouth. I was getting at that when I asked if you could see the screen, but as I said rikkster stole my words. Follow what rikkster said. That's exactly what I think you should do aswell