Koodo Community
Solved

Since switching to Koodo I only receive about half of the texts I am sent. Can this be fixed or do I need to leave Koodo?

I had my phone as pay-as-you-go with 7-11 and had no issues, but switched to Koodo about three weeks ago because I wanted affordable data. Since switching I am able to send/receive calls and send texts, but I only receive about half the texts I am sent. I have confirmed this many times with multiple people who get mad at me for not responding to texts I didn't receive. Why is this happening? If it can't be fixed quickly I am going to try Fido. It's not the phone (Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime) as this did not happen with 7-11 ever.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Have you tried restarting your phone, and pulling your sim card out and back in again? Does everyone get texts that you send? I'm assuming that you don't get any error messages? Are you using the default messages app? You could try going into settings from Messages, delete old message, and select text message limit and increase the limit. You can also try another messaging app for SMS if that will work. Where did you get your phone from? You might have to call for troublehsooting.
I have restarted the phone and pulled the SIM several times. I have never noticed anyone not receiving my texts, though one was received ~40 minutes late last night. I have not received any errors related to messaging. Yes default messaging app. It shouldn't be that I am exceeding my message limit as I get very few and still receive about 50% of them, though I just deleted all to give that a shot. I bought the phone on Amazon in June and it never gave me any texting issues until I switched to Koodo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Try another one like Hangouts and see what happens. You will likely have to call 611 in order to see if technical support can help. You might have to get reprovisioned Koodo-side. There's not much to do besides perhaps a factory reset in your end at this point.
Badge +4
Clearing the Messages cache and data might work. Go to: Settings > Applications > Applications Manager. Scroll to and tap Messages. Tap Storage. Tap Clear Data > Delete, tap Clear Cache. Depending on the version of Android, the path to get to Messages and deleting the cache and data may differ slightly. This procedure will not delete your text messages.
Okay so I think I figured something out about it. I play Pokemon Go on my phone and sometimes the game seems to freeze up or lose GPS or something. If someone texts me while Pokemon is having issues I never get the text. This did not happen with 7-11 because they would continue trying to deliver messages until they were delivered. If I left service for a day I would get everything when I returned. Is there any reason that a locked up game should prevent me from getting texts? Anyway to resolve it? A setting where Koodo will keep trying until the message is delivered?

I tried the suggestions above.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm not aware of a carrier setting that you can make to keep attempting message delivery. I'm not sure of the reasons, but if the phone is truly and fully frozen due to software crapping out, then it makes sense that it doesn't get anything in that time period. However, I've never encountered that when my phone is locked up. It could be a very rare bug related to pokemon go and your version of andorid or your phone.