Koodo Community

Community

Question

Sim card

Userlevel 1
Why won't walmart sell me a Sim card, they are a Koodo dealer, they tell me to drive 2 hours to a koodo stor

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Not all Koodo retailers sell SIM cards, and/or they could have been sold out. You would have to ask them why for a definite answer. You can buy your sim card online if you'd like.
Userlevel 1
Allan wrote:

Not all Koodo retailers sell SIM cards, and/or they could have been sold out. You would have to a...

I tried online and it says to goto a store and it lists walmart in Peace river??
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

Not all Koodo retailers sell SIM cards, and/or they could have been sold out. You would have to a...

Are you trying to buy a prepaid or postpaid sim? Is this for a new line or an existing line?
Userlevel 1
Allan wrote:

For my plan not a prepaid, I am looking at a new phone that requires a nano so I would need to get a new card for my phone that has a monthly plan
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

Do you happen to have one of the tri-cut sim cards in which you can "pop out" the nano sim? As well if you buy the new phone from Koodo you will receive a new sim card with your phone.
Userlevel 1
Allan wrote:

Negative
My local Wal-Mart only sells chatr sims
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The phone dept in many Walmart stores is a concession given to an outside operator. They, as well as other dealers, will have their own sales policies.

Keep in mind that these are an item that could easily be pilfered in quantity and represent no profit to the store or salesperson unless you are buying a handset. The Koodo company stores really only stock them as a necessary customer service item.

Unless there's been a recent policy change, prepaid SIMS are only sold by Koodo stores, but you can often find them on eBay.ca.

Regardless of where you buy, make sure you have the right size and spec. Pre- and post-paid are different animals entirely.
Userlevel 6
BobTheElectrician wrote:

The phone dept in many Walmart stores is a concession given to an outside operator. They, as well...

you can get Prepaid Koodo SIMs at most The Mobile Shop locations (inside Loblaws/Real Canadian Superstore/Zehrs) in Canada now.  TMS also sells postpaid SIMs
Userlevel 6
BobTheElectrician wrote:

The phone dept in many Walmart stores is a concession given to an outside operator. They, as well...

I used to work for OSL (the outside operator that is contracted by Walmart to handle their cell phone sales), and they can refuse to sell just a SIM, especially since they have to make sure they have enough SIM cards to cover the quantity of phones they have in stock.  I've found way better customer service at The Mobile Shop
Userlevel 1
BobTheElectrician wrote:

I bought a Sim card for my phone at Walmart, ,and it me $11.50 ,only because it was a new phone.they do sell them.so they lied if they don't have any Sim cards.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Andy Girard wrote:

I bought a Sim card for my phone at Walmart, ,and it me $11.50 ,only because it was a new phone.t...

The OP stated that Walmart would not sell him a SIM card, not that they had none. Assuming the OP wanted a SIM card independent of a new phone purchase, it could very well be that there are no SIM cards available for sale.

Userlevel 6
Andy Girard wrote:

I bought a Sim card for my phone at Walmart, ,and it me $11.50 ,only because it was a new phone.t...

as I stated earlier, I used to work for OSL (Walmart Wireless), and we had to make sure we had enough SIM cards to cover the phones we had in stock.  So if we had (as an example, from the time frame when I worked there) 15 iPhone 5, we had to make sure we had 15 Koodo nanoSIMs.  If we had more, then it was up to us to use our discretion on whether or not we sold any of the extras.  We VERY RARELY had extra SIMs (because OSL and Walmart were too cheap to buy extra SIMs). 
On the other hand, I have friends who work at The Mobile Shop (inside RCSS, RASS, Zehr's, Loblaws) and they've told me they never have issues stocking SIM cards, so they'll sell 1 any time they're asked
Userlevel 1
Andy Girard wrote:

As I mentioned it's a 2 hr drive to the city that would have one, I tried online Koodo self serve and it says to goto the nearest store. This is a big circle getting nowhere
Userlevel 6
Andy Girard wrote:

Looks like living in Peace River, you may not have any option other than the 2hr drive. I'm not sure they will/can do anything, but have you called the Koodo Web Store to see if they will just charge you for the SIM and toss one in the mail for you?

Userlevel 1
Andy Girard wrote:

No call yet thought I would try this first