Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Signal So Weak I Can't Make Calls

Back in June, I switched from Rogers over to Koodo. I live in a basement apartment in Nepean, just west of downtown Ottawa so I'm well within the "Ottawa" area and not in some rural part of town. Also, I never had problems calling previously. Now I get a single bar, my calls don't go out and even when I move to the main floor next to a window I only gain a single bar more. (I'm using a Galaxy S4 with latest updates) The first couple of months I thought I could live with it, but not being able to make a call and hunt for windows is really getting annoying. Is the problem the signal/spectrum that Koodo uses? Could the phone be defective? Is there a cheap way of boosting the signal somehow? Any help/suggestions appreciated!

8 replies

Badge +4
Hi Sylvain, The fact that you're situated in a basement apartment is one significant factor, cell signals have a harder time penetrating below ground. To get an accurate signal strength reading, take a walk around your building and make note of the differences in signal strength. If the phone consistently stays between three to four bars, then there's nothing wrong with the phones' ability to receive a signal and it has more to do with the fact that you're underground. As far as what's available in terms of signal boosters and range extenders, they range in price from $200 to $500 and up, so that's probably out of the question. There are a number of home brew diy booster projects online where some have reported success in receiving a better signal. You may want to give them a try. http://www.wisebread.com/no-signal-5-quick-ways-to-boost-your-cell-phone-reception-updated
I'd heard about basements being problematic, but I'm in the basement apartment of a house. If I walk around the main floor of the house, even if I'm right at any of windows, the signal doesn't go above 2 bars.
Badge +4
Sylvain Gee wrote:

I'd heard about basements being problematic, but I'm in the basement apartment of a house. If I w...

While you mention that you are within the coverage area, you may be located a fair distance away from the nearest cell tower. You can give Koodo a call to see if there may be a problem with the network, maybe the tower in that area might be acting up. (*611 option 6 from your phone). In terms of signal strength, did the phone appear to work properly before the update, or has it been like this all along?
Sylvain Gee wrote:

I'd heard about basements being problematic, but I'm in the basement apartment of a house. If I w...

No, unfortunately it's been this way all along.
Badge +4
Sylvain Gee wrote:

Then I think the best option is to send it in and have it looked at. I was hoping it would have been a simpler fix. If the S4 is under a year old and shows no sign of physical or moisture damage, the repair is covered under warranty.
Sylvain Gee wrote:

Way week single telus are to far out were you live os combat higher towers you see in barrie telus towers are bad os higher the batter
Userlevel 7
Sylvain Gee wrote:

What?
Userlevel 1
Sylvain Gee wrote:

I experience with telus single is bad in small city
and towns in vallges only I get good single I have go on the mine street because luckying of towers
dose this make sense to you?
I'm hereing koodo has good singe but Tru is really week