Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Should I switch?

I'm with Virgin Mobile right now, with a Nexus 5 and $62 per month, 750 data and daytime minutes, unlimited evenings and weekends after 5pm. I want to upgrade to a Galaxy S4 but don't know if I should switch cell companies too. Is Koodo any better with anything?
I've had my phone for a year and a half and it's not good with keeping wifi or data turned on and it restarts itself a lot. 
Should I stay with VM or switch and can anyone give me reasons to switch?

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Hey Jennie, Issues you had with your phone is really based on your phone and not the provider. Network coverage will be about the same as when you were with VM. The only difference would be pottentially better pricing, but thats left up to you to decide. One thing I like with Koodo is it's flexibility and the customer service you get when going to a mall stall or calling in.
Mathieu wrote:

Hey Jennie, Issues you had with your phone is really based on your phone and not the provider....

But does it have better cell coverage?
Userlevel 7
Mathieu wrote:

Hey Jennie, Issues you had with your phone is really based on your phone and not the provider....

It's all relatively identical
Mathieu wrote:

Okay. Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Mathieu wrote:

You can always check out coverage in your area through koodomobile.com....i imagine virgin has a similar map
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Koodo's coverage is same as Telus's if it can be of any help
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Koodo's coverage is same as Telus's if it can be of any help

Telus and Bell share many towers, Koodo is part of Telus, and the cell companies now have to offer extended coverage on each other's equipment. So I wouldn't let anyone try to convince you that coverage will be drastically better or worse with any of the above carriers. In my experience, if you live in a marginal reception area, you will have similar problems on all national networks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Whatever you decide, I'd like to point out that going from a Nexus 5 to an S4 is an overall downgrade, not an upgrade. The S4 may have a slightly better camera and removable battery/storage, but it has a slower processor. Throw in the bloated TouchWiz UX, and you'll have a rather inferior experience with the S4. http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S4,Google-Nexus-5/phones/7597,8148
Ivan wrote:

Whatever you decide, I'd like to point out that going from a Nexus 5 to an S4 is an overall downg...

So would it be better to get an iPhone?
Userlevel 7
Ivan wrote:

Whatever you decide, I'd like to point out that going from a Nexus 5 to an S4 is an overall downg...

That ends up being a personal decision. With an iPhone your going to a completely different system, one that you can't customize as much as android as well as a different app ecosystem. It can be quite the switch to go to an iPhone from an android phone, so you should decide iPhone or Android and then look at what phone would best fit your needs.
Ivan wrote:

What would be the best to upgrade from a Nexus 4 then? I have it now and it's horrible and my sister had the same and went to iPhone 5c because we know they work better
Userlevel 7
Ivan wrote:

What exactly is it that you don't like of your Nexus 4?
Ivan wrote:

It restarts itself, a lot of the apps shut down, the wifi won't stay connected, it won't let me turn on my data 50% of the time. That's just the things I can think of right off.
Userlevel 7
Ivan wrote:

Wow alright, well in most cases doing a factory reset would solve all of those problems. But as long as you get a recent phone you should not have any of those difficulties with it. I currently use a Galaxy S4 and have not had any of those issues, my sister who uses an iPhone 4S also never had any of those issues.
Ivan wrote:

I have done factory reset twice in the past 6 months and it hasn't helped. My sister had the same problem with the same phone and it's why she switched.
Userlevel 7
Ivan wrote:

Wow, well that is odd to hear. But in any case, if your sister was happy with her new iPhone than you may enjoy it as well. But don't let one bad android experience ruin your opinion of the system. Check out the Galaxy S5, or the HTC M9.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

Sounds like you are iConverted. If you are happy, that's all that counts.