Koodo Community

Community

Should I buy a phone without 4G if I don't really need data?

I want to buy a phone (Xiaomi Redmi 4 Prime) that will not have 4G compatibility with Koodo, but does work on 3G. I will mostly use this phone where I have access to Wifi, and thus don't need data on my phone plan. I will get Koodo's $15/month plan. I will buy data boosters so I can check email/maps when I don't have Wifi. I can do this with 3G, even though it will be slower than 4G, correct? 

Is anything other than data affected by not having 4G? Calling and texting won't be affected, but apps like Snapchat and Whatsapp will be slower when I use data (from boosters) instead of Wifi, right? 

Phone frequencies:
4G: 1800, 1900, 2100, 2300, 2500, 2600 MHz
3G: 1900, 800, 1900, 2100, 850, 900 MHz
2G: 1800, 1900, 850, 900 MHz

Willmyphonework.net confirms that this phone can work with Koodo for 3G but not 4G. 

Thanks!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you don't plan to routinely use data, 3G speeds will more than meet your needs.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
To check email and maps, 3G will do you just fine and using 3G is an option. Currently standing with Koodo only data is improved. Once VoLTE is implement though, there will be a difference in quality of calls between 3G and VoLTE. 3G does use slower speeds than LTE but for basic things you shouldnt notice much if any difference. As a side note, that phone has Band 7 (2600) which should be good for LTE-A which covers a lot of the same area LTE does. Especially in bugger cities. You can look at the coverage map to see exactly where. http://choosehappy.koodomobile.com/network?INTCMP=KMNew_ChooseHappy_OurNetwork_CompareCoverage
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
3G has slowed down recently. Used to get 20-25mbps but now when I check I get 10-15mbps, which is fast enough for anything really should you need it. Browsing will take an extra second or two for a page load but that's about it. High quality 1080p even only uses 6mbps and usually closer to 3.