Koodo Community

Community

Solved

should i activate US add on in canada or in US

I'm traveling to the US, and want to maximize the 3 day plan.  I'm there From Friday to Tuesday, is it more effective to activate my phone in Canada on Friday and have it till Monday night, or activate it on Saturday and have it all day tuesday?  If I turn on my phone in the states and send the message from there, will I be charged more??

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Robin, I don't believe that you will get charged to send the text from the US. As for what day to activate it, that is left to you to decide which day you will be using your phone more.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
You can always consider to add the roaming pack from your Koodo App, connect yourself to a WiFi connection if you want to make sure that you won't be charged, or also from your Self service account... I am not 100% sure but I would say you will not be charged to add the roaming pack while in the US via text,. As far as what day to activate it, it is up to you and I guess it depends when you need it the most... For example, if you are coming Tuesday morning and you will be there all day Friday, then what you said sounds reasonable...
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Camilo_A wrote:

You can always consider to add the roaming pack from your Koodo App, connect yourself to a WiFi c...

But you know what, looking at the packages again, the price difference between 3 days and 10 days is not too much... Why not playing safe, getting a 10 days package and enjoy coverage throughout the whole trip?
Camilo_A wrote:

You can always consider to add the roaming pack from your Koodo App, connect yourself to a WiFi c...

That's what I'm thinking. And my plan will go back to normal once I get back to Canada on Tuesday?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Camilo_A wrote:

When you add a roaming pack it does not affect your plan at all... So once the roaming pack it's up, then it will be removed automatically from the account...
Camilo_A wrote:

But I'm going to be back in Canada 6 days before the pack is up, if I do the 10 day one (which seems with it)
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Camilo_A wrote:

Yeah, no worries about that, it will not affect you in Canada... The pack is only for the US, so even if you are back and the pack is still in your account, you will need to stick to your Canadian plan...

Enjoy your trip!!!
Userlevel 7
Camilo_A wrote:

To put it in simple terms:
  • You roam in the states and make a call. When it comes to billing the call, Koodo will check if there was an add-on for it. If yes, then no roaming charge (WOOO!) if no, then roaming charge. In this case you have an add-on so no charge!
  • You get back to Canada, make a call. When it comes to billing the call, Koodo will check your regular airtime and see if you have enough. If yes, then no charge! if no, then a overage charge.
Koodo will automatically detect where you are and what plan to apply it to. You could cross back and fourth several times during the 10 days and everything will be figured out by Koodo! You have nothing to worry about!