Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Senior Needs Help......NOT a Techie!!

Userlevel 2
I just bought a Galaxy S4 and the salesman set the phone up for me. I was going to buy the plan with 1G of data but he assured me that I wouldn't need that much based on my history of usage with my last phone. He also told me that leaving the phone on all the time wouldn't use up the data, however, I now see that I have already used 351 MB of data and the month isn't over! I have left the phone off for the past two days (unless I really need to use it) and I purchased a book on how to use the different applications. Could you please explain to me what uses all the data; is it checking Facebook and having my email notifications set up to automatically sync every time I get an email? Also, if I go over the 500 limit before the month is over do you automatically have another 100 MB added and get charge the $5? Thank you for your help. Maybe seniors shouldn't buy fancy phones!! ; ) Sharron

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Sr's should absolutely use smartphones Here's the deal, anytime your phone is sitting idle the munchkins and trolls that live inside of it are working hard to keep you connected. Email and Facebook use a type of messaging that requires your phone to pick up the connection every so often to yell out "oy vey server! I'm still here! I'm listening!" that's called push messaging and it uses the least amount of data. Apps on the other hand will use your data on a schedule even if you're not using your phone! They want to keep the trolls and munchkins updated to what might or might not be news to you. Things like the weather or local news. This is background data and you can shut this type of catterwalling and tom foolery down. Go into the settings of each app and look for things that say "sync every x minutes" turn that into a larger number or even to manual. If you have internet at home, invest in a wireless router (you may even already have one because of your internet service provider) this way when your phone is home you can use your home internet to do all this crazy wacky modern stuff instead of using Koodo network data. Koodo doesn't charge you to use Wifi. That's what that is. Wifi
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

Sr's should absolutely use smartphones Here's the deal, anytime your phone is sitting idle the...

Wow... this explanation reads like a 50's TV show cliffhanger... leaves me wanting for more. "Next week: find out about the exciting adventures of Wifi! Is it good? Is it evil? What is it up to? Don't miss it! Tune in at 7:30!"
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Sharron, Nah, good for you, buying a fancy phone!!! Anything you mentioned uses data, Facebook, email, browsing, even games. Do you have WiFi at home? The best thing to do would be to set up your phone so that it only uses WiFi to download certain upgrades, and also when you're at home you'll use Facebook etc without using your Koodo data plan. Ideally you'll only use data when you're away from places that offer WiFi (such as home, the office or even stores) and if you don't watch videos or download large apps, 1 GB should certainly be more than enough!
Userlevel 7
Sophia wrote:

Hi Sharron, Nah, good for you, buying a fancy phone!!! Anything you mentioned uses data, Fa...

http://www.marketmenot.com/esurance-beatrice-offline-over-sharer-commercial/
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Hi Sharron, Nah, good for you, buying a fancy phone!!! Anything you mentioned uses data, Fa...

Hahaha!! @ Chad! Actually Sharron, all jokes aside, you got a marvellous sales person not trying to talk you into the largest plan Koodo has, but selling you what (he thought) you'd need 🙂 You don't see that often these days... was the salesman's name Jonathan by any chance? 😉
Userlevel 2
Sophia wrote:

No, his name was Sean and he works at the London Drugs on Heritage and Macleod. He was very helpful and, if I had only used this new phone the way I used the old one (no data at all or texting), I'm sure I wouldn't be having a problem!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Oops sorry Sophia I didn't notice your response till now and kind of repeated it below, my bad
Userlevel 2
I really appreciate the feedback! Chad, your answer was so very helpful!! And detailed too. I admit that I'm not really too bad when it comes to techie stuff.....just not used to this phone yet. It has soooo much on it!! But I think this manual (called Galaxy S4: The Missing Manual) will help a lot and, in the meantime, i'll make sure that I am connected to WiFi as much as possible. Thank you both!!
Userlevel 6
Sharron, you give far less credit to yourself than you deserve!:-) You just used technology and some awesome people around here to help you find an answer to your question. When you finish the manual come back and share your wealth of knowledge with us or others that are looking for help.:-)
Userlevel 7
I was talking to a fellow Mobile Master Paul about sr's and the S4 he mentioned the following: "The S4 is senior friendly, Chad go into settings then under My Device click on Home Screen Mode and select Easy Mode. It makes the UI (user interface) extremely basic and easy to understand" Don't know if that will help but certainly something to look at.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

I was talking to a fellow Mobile Master Paul about sr's and the S4 he mentioned the following: ...

This Paul sounds like a smart guy 😉 hehehe Just something else to keep in mind is that you say you use Facebook and there being alot of videos on Facebook just keep in mind that watching videos takes up alot more data than anything else you'll come across using your phone. If you have the Internet at home or if your out sitting at say Tim Hortons or McDonald's or even the library you can connect your phone to wifi to connect your phone to the Internet and it won't ear up your data from Koodo at all when your connected to wifi. If you do try try to connect to a public wifi at the library or Tim Hortons ect and your phone doesn't seem to be working on the places wifi make sure after you connect through your settings menu that you open a browser on the phone and accept the place your at terms to use there wifi to complete the connection. Not really what you were asking but just trying to let you know how to possibly not use as much of your phones data package incase you didn't know.