Koodo Community

Community

Self Serve App Update for Android – January 2017


Userlevel 7
Badge +4
[b]*UPDATE - Feb. 2, 2017*:

Folks - version3.3.5.80 of the Koodo Self Serve Android app is now available in the Google Play store.

Usersshould now see:
  • Removalof permission asks (access to phone, GPS, camera, etc.)
  • Paymenterror issues fixed (i.e. “Error 25”)
As always - let us know if you encounter any problems or have questions that the Community can assist with.
Thanks for your patience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Through our latest mobile app update, we uncovered some issues that our Android customers weren't exactly happy about.

One in particular, that you were very vocal about sharing your opinions on, was the number of permission requirements. There was no malicious intent behind this change, but we understand why you may have found them to be excessive. We've heard you out and are making some changes in the upcoming weeks, which will include the removal of these permission asks.

In addition, we're also working to fix a bug that creates an error when attempting to make a payment from the app. This unfortunately didn’t show up in our testing and was only discovered once we launched. While we work on the fix, we would suggest to use our mobile site which is just as easy to use, has far more functionality, and it works! 🙂  We suggest you make a bookmark of it from your web browser on to your phone for easy access.

For all those that voiced their concern we do thank the feedback, no matter how harsh. This was on us, we screwed up, and it’s on us to fix it now.

We will provide an update here once we know when the changes will be implemented.

30 replies

Userlevel 4
Appreciated
Tiz wrote:

Appreciated

My self serve now wont work AT ALL and cant be re-installed. The CSR rep at my local kiosk says it is due to the upgrade. How do I get it reloaded??

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tiz wrote:

Appreciated

What do you mean Clifton? Your self serve would continue to work even without an app. You would still be able to login to your account on your phone's browser or on a computer. I see you logged in today already. Are you asking about the app and how to reinstall? If yes, that's easy. Simply go to the 'playstore' on your Samsung phone and look for an app called Koodo Self Serve. Download it. Just bear in mind the payment feature currently isn't working. We are in the midst of fixing that. 
Tiz wrote:

Appreciated

It IS the Koodo self serve APP on my Samson neo 5 cell phone that had been downloaded from playstore that no longer works.... Soo I DID try accessing from my computer which I am also unable to access saying my password is incorrect...NOT!!! regardless, I tried resetting my pasword anyway but get the message that I have to use log into self serve to reset my password.... UMMMM I CANT ACCESS SELF SERVE!!!!  Was going to try disactivating the koodo app and reactivating it but get a msg that if I do THAT, i could loose other stuff.... HELP!!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tiz wrote:

Appreciated

Lisa, I would suggest to use the website for all things re your account not the app. Have you been able to recover your password? It doesn't require access to self serve to do that. 
What do you mean a little harsh you asked for complete access to everyone s phone and files as well as the right to record them at will what a joke you don't need any of those rights to give account info and pay your bill
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Terry Parkin wrote:

What do you mean a little harsh you asked for complete access to everyone s phone and files as we...

We didn't say "little" Terry.

Most apps asks for access to your phone for one reason or another. For us the camera access was for taking a picture of one's credit card for payments instead of trying to spell out 16 digits on a small screen, GPS for showing closest location of our stores, phone contacts to be able to make calls from the app. We weren't trying to collect any additional data, as yo can imagine we already have lots as is given that people use our services. Anyway, we heard the people and changes are under way. To be honest most customers of ours never used the app even before, because our mobile site was better with more functionalities. Maybe we'll just scrap the app altogether. Sounds like it's better for everyone.  
Terry Parkin wrote:

What do you mean a little harsh you asked for complete access to everyone s phone and files as we...

Well that sounds good but you forgot the main reason most of us came to Koodo for and that was because we had a choice by totally disabling app unless you accept terms you took that away we schould be able to choose if we want the extra tools and grant access as needed
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Terry Parkin wrote:

What do you mean a little harsh you asked for complete access to everyone s phone and files as we...

Yes, you are right. Hence tha changes coming.
Userlevel 4
Terry Parkin wrote:

What do you mean a little harsh you asked for complete access to everyone s phone and files as we...

Just a thought. Why don't you go back to the old app? It was working pretty well for me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Terry Parkin wrote:

What do you mean a little harsh you asked for complete access to everyone s phone and files as we...

New privacy and security regulation around payment is one reason. The other is that the vendor whose platform we use no longer supports the old version. What if we just stapled the app altogether? To be honest we don't have a lot of people using them ever since we introduced shock-free-data. Before customer had to check usage frequently, now you don't have to at all because we send you alerts and even stop data once you run out.
Userlevel 6
Terry Parkin wrote:

What do you mean a little harsh you asked for complete access to everyone s phone and files as we...

@Bernard: I am in favour of scrapping the app. The website is super easy and works fairly well on mobile browsers. I am also pleased to hear that the app will require fewer permissions. This is great news!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Terry Parkin wrote:

What do you mean a little harsh you asked for complete access to everyone s phone and files as we...

About the only advantage I see in the app is that the data it uses can be zero rated,which may not be possible with the mobile site. Not that either requires much data to begin with.
Userlevel 6
Terry Parkin wrote:

What do you mean a little harsh you asked for complete access to everyone s phone and files as we...

@Timo: touché, finally a (kind of trivial) advantage for using the app! If only Koodo could offer zero-rated data for music streaming like them folks at Vidéotron and T-Mobile USofA...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
New version of Android app released - original post updated above.
Ranjan wrote:

New version of Android app released - original post updated above.

Just burned through half month of data in two hours. Nothing open but Google and this app. Anyone else suffer this problem?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ranjan wrote:

New version of Android app released - original post updated above.

Unless something has changed recently, data used by the app is zero rated, meaning it doesn't count against your monthly usage. Therefore if your self serve shows that half your data has been used, it wasn't the app that did it.
Userlevel 4
Ranjan wrote:

New version of Android app released - original post updated above.

It happened to .me in the past. After I obtain the new data allowance, half of it mysteriously disappeared. I spoke about it to a Koofo rep without satisfactory response.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ranjan wrote:

New version of Android app released - original post updated above.

The Koodo app is not the culprit Colin. When you say "just" I assume today. Looking at your account and the data use the big jump happened yesterday though.  There are lots of apps that could help tell you which app on your phone uses how much data. This is a popular one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobidia.android.mdm&hl=en
I cannot login using my android app too
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jocelyn Larocque wrote:

I cannot login using my android app too

What error message are you getting Jocelyn? Can you post a screenshot of what you are saying. 
Jocelyn Larocque wrote:

I cannot login using my android app too

It just won't let me login. I put my email address and password and I can't go any further
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jocelyn Larocque wrote:

I cannot login using my android app too

Can you log in on the browser with the same email and password, Jocelyn?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jocelyn Larocque wrote:

I cannot login using my android app too

And you can log into your account online? 
Jocelyn Larocque wrote:

I cannot login using my android app too

I can login on a Web browser

Reply