Koodo Community
Question

Screen Shattered

• 2 November 2020
  • 4 replies

LG dual screen v6 thin less then one week old - screen shattered falling out of pocket when i bent over to pet my pup inside the house on cushion linoleum floor - first time dropped or fallen in this case. My last  phone  i had 6 years dropped/fallen approx 10 times without a case on it inside and outside not a crack anywhere. Phone repair in town said it was most definitely a manufacture defect think koodoo will fix this ….nope   because i didn't purchase the extended warranty ...i am a old lady not in the habit of doing things that will damage my property. i was unable to purchase the glass screen protector at time of purchase as they stated on back order well now not too happy with koodoo will have to pay out of pocket for a manufacture defect in the mean time back to my old phone then think will just sell the new one and leave koodoo

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Unfortunately, things like this happen. Try checking with your credit card maybe you have a accidental damage insurance that comes with it. It’s called extedende warranty or something like that. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

if it is a manufacturer’s defect I would contact LG regarding warranty on their product.

https://www.lg.com/ca_en/support

Userlevel 5

LG dual screen v6 thin less then one week old - screen shattered falling out of pocket when i bent over to pet my pup inside the house on cushion linoleum floor - first time dropped or fallen in this case. My last  phone  i had 6 years dropped/fallen approx 10 times without a case on it inside and outside not a crack anywhere. Phone repair in town said it was most definitely a manufacture defect think koodoo will fix this ….nope   because i didn't purchase the extended warranty ...i am a old lady not in the habit of doing things that will damage my property. i was unable to purchase the glass screen protector at time of purchase as they stated on back order well now not too happy with koodoo will have to pay out of pocket for a manufacture defect in the mean time back to my old phone then think will just sell the new one and leave koodoo

That is extremely unfortunate. I’m sorry to hear that.

It seems like physical damage is not protected by the Koodo warranty and repair policy. You are out of luck on that part. 

If your credit card policy doesn’t provide you with any cell phone insurance or extended warranty protection, I’m afraid you’ll have to pay out of pocket. Koodo suggests Mobile Klinik, but there may be cheaper alternatives near where you live. I would suggest getting it fixed at your local repair shop. There seems to be one in Woodstock. It’s called Cellular Magician.

Once you get it fixed, you should invest in a case and glass protector. Just buy one off Amazon. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I've had this happen before (with an LG G5, which was less than 3 days old). No manufacturer's warranty will cover physical damage like this. However, I found out that LG Canada has a pretty good out of warranty repair system in place - flat fee (and though they didn't initially offer to cover shipping costs to them, I asked the rep about it and they gave me an account number to use at Purolator). It was something like $170 for the repair at the time. It differs from phone to phone. 

I recommend going this way, as it'll preserve the remainder of your warranty for the future.