Koodo Community
Solved

Samsung S9 not charging / nonresponsive

My S9 stopped charging overnight - no matter what cord / charger I used all it would do is make a lightning bolt in a circle for a few seconds, then it would put an "alert" symbol and say there was moisture in the charging port. (It was charging fine at first, then woke me up from the alert buzzing a few hours later)

After a while it stopped doing even that and now it's just blank, even when I plug a cable in, and doesn't respond to any button presses (even the 'hard reboot' and 'factory reset' combinations).

I bought a wireless charger and have had it on there for about 30 min; the charger detects the phone but the phone is still not responding to anything.

Any ideas what else I can do to revive it ---- or what I should do if it's kaput?
icon

Best answer by Goran 24 December 2018, 18:48

At this point you've done pretty much all you can do. Maybe you could try seeing if you plug it into a computer and try powering on if it'll respond, but I'm doubting that it will...youd probably have gotten some kind of response from your attempting to boot it up.

Just take it in to get looked at.

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Since the moisture alert is continuing to get tripped chances are that the phone probably has moisture damage internally. How long has this issue been occurring?
If it's been many days then you may want to bring it in for repair and see what they say.... Keep in mind if it is moisture damage you would have to pay for the repair
It just started doing this last night - It definitely didn't get wet as it was just sitting on the night stand charging, no water nearby and humidity here is like 20%. I've read online the "water in port" error can also be a firmware problem or a problem with the charging port, but I can't even get it to power on now, even after about an hour sitting on a wireless charger.

EDIT: After some time on the wireless charger, it said "100%" but still won't turn on.
I also tried insert/remove the SIM card, it didn't help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It just started doing this last night - It definitely didn't get wet as it was just sitting on the night stand charging, no water nearby and humidity here is like 20%. I've read online the "water in port" error can also be a firmware problem or a problem with the charging port, but I can't even get it to power on now, even after about an hour sitting on a wireless charger.

EDIT: After some time on the wireless charger, it said "100%" but still won't turn on.
I also tried insert/remove the SIM card, it didn't help.

Are you running the official firmware or have you rooted or installed other software?

Any chance of dropping it in snow?
Badge +4
Try pressing and holding the power button for five to seven seconds. This may revive your S9.
Paul - no snow (or not enough to drop anything in) and I'm running the official everything - only updates are the ones pushed through automatically and all apps are from the Play Store (nothing weird installed). I haven't even installed anything new for a week or so.

Rikkster - I have held the power button, volume down + power, and volume up + power + bixby, and all give no response from the phone (no LEDs or anything on the screen).

I think the next step is to try and have it checked out at the store, but any ideas are welcome since it probably won't be taken care of till after the holidays at this point.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
At this point you've done pretty much all you can do. Maybe you could try seeing if you plug it into a computer and try powering on if it'll respond, but I'm doubting that it will...youd probably have gotten some kind of response from your attempting to boot it up.

Just take it in to get looked at.
I am curious on what really happened after this. Phone got replaced, repaired or ???