Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Samsung S7 Edge nougat update - quick settings missing (hotspot, mobile data) was there before update

Userlevel 1
Got the Nougat update yesterday on Samsung S7 Edge, and 2 quick setting buttons that I use frequently are now missing "Mobile Hotspot" and "Mobile Data".  They were there on Marshmallow, and dissappeared after the update.  I've seen screenshots of other Nougat on S7 and those Quick settings are available.   I've done some reading and it sounds like it has to do with a Carrier setting that has disabled it.   Anyone else having similar problems or a fix?

30 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Kelvin,

Maybe they were removed from the QS panel and you need to add them again? https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/android/77434/android-7-0-nougat-tip-customize-quick-settings

Robert wrote:

Hello Kelvin,

Maybe they were removed from the QS panel and you need to add them again? [ur...

hi did you get to fix it? I got the same problem and it is such a hassle. 
Userlevel 1
Robert wrote:

Hello Kelvin,

Maybe they were removed from the QS panel and you need to add them again? [ur...

No solution posted has worked so far.
Robert wrote:

Hello Kelvin,

I'm on Bell in Canada - My quick settings doesn't even have an "Edit" button - and yes, the Hotspot icon (which I used almost daily) has vanished!  [i]Very annoying
Robert wrote:

Hello Kelvin,

I had the same problem. To fix mine I swiped down with two fingers, which opened a larger menu, clicked the three dots, chose edit and was able to drag the missing buttons into place.
Robert wrote:

Hello Kelvin,

Hi guys I have A5 and I updated my phone and I lost data icon plz help thanks
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello Kelvin,

Take a look at my very last post on this page and read through the instructions. All the tools you'll need are conveniently packaged in a downloadable zip file. http://goo.gl/Kz25iv (file downloads immediately to your computer). The information gathered came from XDA Developers, originally.

https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-restore-mobile-data-quick-settings-tile-toggle-on-samsung-gala...
Userlevel 1
Hi thanks for your quick reply. I looked using the edit button those icons do not appear in the lower section to add or drag to the active title. It wasn't a problem before the update.

kelvinyosh wrote:

Hi thanks for your quick reply. I looked using the edit button those icons do not appear in the ...

I'm having the same issue, let me know please if you can solve it :( 

a.ascencioh@gmail.com
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
kelvinyosh wrote:

Hi thanks for your quick reply. I looked using the edit button those icons do not appear in the ...

Thats's the post on XDA : https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-restore-mobile-data-quick-settings-tile-toggle-on-samsung-gala...
kelvinyosh wrote:

I tried this but when I entered the adb devices command in terminal it said: -bash: adb: command not found
What am I doing wrong?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
kelvinyosh wrote:

Hard to tell. Did you install the program properly and run as administrator and enable USB debugging on your phone and such? There's the explicit step by step setup double check you're not missing any of it or let us know if something is confusing you.
Userlevel 3
I use this app for quick mobile data toggle. Just place the widget on homescreen, mobile data icon takes you to the page where you can just toggle it on/off.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.painless.pc

However, I got my S7 from Koodo and I didn't have mobile data toggle? Where did you get your phone from?
Userlevel 1
Suresh Aryal wrote:

I use this app for quick mobile data toggle. Just place the widget on homescreen, mobile data ico...

I got my phone from Koodo, and I've always had those options.
Suresh Aryal wrote:

I use this app for quick mobile data toggle. Just place the widget on homescreen, mobile data ico...

Great app. It is the only gadget that seems to work for toggling hotspot. And it does so much more too. Good recommendation. Thank you.
Badge +4
System UI Tuner is or was a hidden feature where you could customize the layout of the QS panel and perform notification area tweaks, (e.g. battery percentage). This was removed as of Android 6.0.1., (I can't access the System UI Tuner menu on an S5 Neo running 6.0.1).

Reviews are mixed. Some are saying this feature has made a return to Nougat, but only on Pixel or Nexus devices. Others are saying that this feature is no longer accessible on S7 or S7 Edge devices running Nougat. Give it a try anyway and let us know if this works or not.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/13571...
Userlevel 1
I was not able to get into System UI Tuner on my Samsung S7 Edge on Nougat. I don' t know why it would be disabled, when it was available before.
Badge +4
Another option is to download Samsung’s replacement to System UI Tuner, Samsung Good Lock. Says it works on devices running 6.0, but I managed to get it running on 6.0.1 and it may work with 7.0. This app used to be available in Samsung’s App Store. If you’re comfortable downloading and installing standalone apk files, please continue reading. This app doesn’t alter launcher settings. So, whether you use a stock or custom launcher like Nova for example, everything stays the same. The app simply allows the ability to fully customize the QS panel and lock screen. I'll show a few examples below. Since this apk is from an outside source and not the Play Store or the Samsung App store, the phone will have to be set to allow 'installation of apps from unknown sources', (go to: Settings > Lock screen and security > Unknown sources. This app was developed and signed by Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. The cryptographic signature guarantees that the file is safe to install and was not tampered with in any way, according to the information provided on this webpage. http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsung-electronics-co-ltd/gooda-lock/good-lock-24-0-16-release/good-lock-24-0-16-android-apk-download/#safeDownload https://news.samsung.com/global/good-lock-customize-the-way-you-use-your-galaxy-smartphone You will need a file explorer – Try Root Explorer. Locate and tap the apk file and select Install. Everything works. More specifically, the data toggle works without issue on an S5 Neo. YMMV. I’ve read that the System UI Tuner feature was experimental and hence why it was hidden. No mention as to why System UI Tuner or Good Lock were ditched. Though stock Android devices, like the Pixel, will reportedly retain this feature. Let us know if this works.

Userlevel 1
Good lock won't install for me in nougat and it reboots. Others mention good lock is disabled after upgrading to nougat.
Badge +4
kelvinyosh wrote:

Good lock won't install for me in nougat and it reboots. Others mention good lock is disabled af...

Sorry to hear. Looks like you'll have to go with Suresh's suggestion for the time being. From what I'm reading, Good Lock will be making a return, but it may take awhile. Developers have replied to comments in the Galaxy App Store stating, Good Lock will be updated after the S8 releases. Figured a stable working copy from 6.0 might work in the interim. Appreciate your feedback all the same, Kelvin, thank you.
I downloaded "Free WiFi Hotspot" from Google Play and it works with my S7 Edge on Bell.  There is an app and a widget so if you use the Widget Edge you can add it there.  It also toggles the HotSpot ON [b]and OFF!
Userlevel 6
Wayne Lawer wrote:

I downloaded "Free WiFi Hotspot" from Google Play and it works with my S7 Edge on Bell.  The...

Is the Free Wifi Hotspot from Google Play to toggle wifi tethering? If so, why not just do that from your phone settings? I imagine if you toggle wifi tethering frequently, that a widget could be useful. You can also add hotspot to your quick settings which I believe works as a toggle.
Wayne Lawer wrote:

I downloaded "Free WiFi Hotspot" from Google Play and it works with my S7 Edge on Bell.  The...

Dont like.......Prefer to use carrier for hotspot rather than some unknown Wi-Fi connection when traveling!!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Wayne Lawer wrote:

@Rick Me
  Have you considered the use of a VPN? 
The Free WiFi app is poorly named - it is used to set up and toggle your hotspot on/off. Nothing to do with turning on/off "mobile" data or accessing any other WiFi service. Only reason to use it is because Nougat took the hotspot toggle off of the quick access menu and this app lets me access the feature without going through three layers of menus. Not "loving" Nougat...