Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Samsung S4 mini not charging

My Samsung S4 mini is not charging. At home I only have 1 cord, tried two different electrical outlets. Plugged in over nite, nada. Brought the phone and my cord in from my car, plugged in here at work for over 5 hours and still no charge. Thoughts? The phone acknowledges that it's plugged into the charger, but it's not charging at all. I can turn my phone on while it's plugged in. Once it's unplugged, the phone shuts down.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
I recommend using another usb cable/charger. It sounds like the one you're using is defective.
I've used two different cables.
I haven't had an issue charging previously. I just charged my phone Sunday nite, with the cable provided to me when I purchased my phone, and everything was fine. I have used the second cable as well, with no problems. Is it normal for cables to all of a sudden stop working?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Remove your battery and make sure all the contacts are clean and connecting properly. If that doesnt solve it then it is a battery issue
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Remove your battery and make sure all the contacts are clean and connecting properly. If that ...

You can download a Battery Monitor application from Google Play to confirm the condition of the battery if you can get the phone going long enough. Charger block available pretty cheap at any dollar store. Worth a try. That phone is not cheap to replace if out-of-warranty.
ummm, one thing. my screen is busted as it was dropped on gravel a few months ago. I have not been able to afford fixing it. Will taking off my otter case make the screen disintegrate to nothing?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Danielle Baragar wrote:

ummm, one thing. my screen is busted as it was dropped on gravel a few months ago. I have not bee...

It may if it is holding it together. So basically your phone is now a land line that is connected to power with a very short USB Cable
Danielle Baragar wrote:

ummm, one thing. my screen is busted as it was dropped on gravel a few months ago. I have not bee...

That's what I thought. yup a land line. if i unplug the phone, it shuts down.
Danielle Baragar wrote:

If I've had the case on it from the day the phone came out of the package, would there be stuff messing up the battery or connections? I'm very careful, with the exception of the screen breaking incident, with making sure all the port covers are closed after unplugging the phone from the charger. I bought the otter case to protect it from dirt etc.. getting in.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Danielle Baragar wrote:

Probably not likely. THen your battery must be shot
Danielle Baragar wrote:

Thanks for your help Dennis. Can you tell me if it will be under warranty? I think I'm coming up to one year at the end of March. I saw somewhere else in the community that warranty is one year.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Danielle Baragar wrote:

Yes warranty is one year. The issue it that with a cracked screen, Samsung may say all issue were the result of physical damage. But it doesnt hurt to try
Danielle Baragar wrote:

a friend mentioned that as well. But, I broke the screen last summer and I have had no issues with charging until now (HONEST!)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Danielle Baragar wrote:

It would be up to Samsung