Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Samsung Nexus S - 1 GB System Info limit

Is there any company/service in the Calgary area that could take root on a Samsung Nexus S and set the switch to allow storing more system data than the 1 GB allowed by default? I have read how to do it but have not been able to accomplish it. The issue is that current downloads of Google crap apps (imho) I am forced to take are not leaving any room for apps I do want.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Hey Wayne, I'm not aware of any services in Calgary that do that. However, the nexus S is quite an old phone. You probably want to upgrade now. Some great phones for the money right now are the moto g and Nexus 5 (i believe they are available until January). A moto g on tab S is free on ANY plan so no need to change your plan either. Hope that helps 🙂
Daniel Kim wrote:

Hey Wayne, I'm not aware of any services in Calgary that do that. However, the nexus S is quite a...

Thanks I am planning on getting a Note 4 for myself but was hoping to gain some room on the Nexus S for my wife to use (she currently uses (and is happy with) an old Motorola clam shell) Is it perhaps possible to locate and load an older version of Android that did not have so many forced add on bells and whistles
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
A clarification: Moto G NOT free unless my accounting 101 is wrong. You pay $150 less $75 for the "bonus".gift (a pre-paid Visa card, if I understand correctly). The $150 goes on your tab (which has to be paid off, as you are an old and valued client) & you'll get the $75 in the mail eventually. If the current situation is a positive tab balance, then so much the better. As a new client, you might leave the store without paying anything on the spot other than the usual pro-rate + plan stuff. The zero $$$ is what draws the unwary. Since Wayne seems to be quite system savvy, he'll know to research the system data situation and find a phone with large native storage before switching phones to good/no good effect.
Userlevel 7
BobTheElectrician wrote:

A clarification: Moto G NOT free unless my accounting 101 is wrong. You pay $150 less $75 for ...

Hey Robert, the 150 goes to your tab so up front the moto g is free. Also when getting a phone with tab S, you don't pay more as there is no minimum plan requirement nor a tab charge. As for your statement "the 0 $ draws the unwary", that isn't the case with tab S or M however that is the case for tab L. 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

A clarification: Moto G NOT free unless my accounting 101 is wrong. You pay $150 less $75 for ...

There's a difference between "free upfront" and "free" in the long run. Maybe that shiny new car has "first 3 payments on the house and no money down," but we still have to pay the balance eventually. This is not an accounting forum, so let's leave it at that. What's more important is that a much better phone with a one year warranty can be had for very little more than the cost of repairing the older one, assuming the repair even works.
Badge +4
It is possible to revert back to an earlier version of Android, (see Factory images for Nexus devices), thereby gaining a little more storage space. Or you could keep your current setup, unlock the bootloader, gain root access and remove manufacturer, carrier and system applications, otherwise known as 'bloatware' using NoBloat or a similar app. You should have a little more storage space to play with after all is said and done. Following instructions to the letter is key. Always make a backup of your current system (custom recovery) so you have something to fall back on should something go wrong. I usually include the disclaimer that rooting will void your warranty, but your device may be well beyond the warranty period. XDA Developers - Nexus S, step by step root guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-s/general/guide-step-step-root-nexus-s-via-t1007782 Factory images for Nexus devices: match model number or code name. Nexus S devices appear near the bottom of the page https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images NoBloat Free: root access required https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tvkdevelopment.nobloatfree&hl=en
Thanks - I will give this a try when I get a chance I had tried something along these lines but somewhere along the line I must have had a brain fart as I could not get it to work.