Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Samsung Grand Prime and SD storage

I loved my Galaxy S2. That's right, I said it. It crawled at a snails pace though so it was time for an upgrade. I just got the Grand Prime on Saturday with the extra SD card. I work from home so I don't use data. I don't need anything So I've moved everything I can possibly move to my extra storage. You know there are many many things that I can't? So you won't be surprised to hear that it's Tuesday and my phone wants to upgrade all this software but I can't because there is no storage. 4 days people. It took 3 years for my S2 to refuse updates.
You know what app can't go to SD storage? Twitter. And the Flipp app. And Quiz Up. I can only have one on there. 
It's pathetic! I might as well keep my S2!
I want to return this and get something else with either more storage on the device or not having to keep an SD card at all but keeping a low tab. The nice thing with the Grand Prime was that it's $7 with my plan. I guess you get what you pay for.

14 replies

Userlevel 6
what is taking up so much space?
you have 16gb on the device, plus whatever is on the card.
If you just have 32 gb of stuff on your phone, then you either need more storage or you need to delete some stuff. That goes for all phones.
most phones are either 16gb or 32 gb. and some have memory card slots and some dont.
from the sounds of it, you just need a bigger card if you're gonna keep all this stuff on it.
Userlevel 7
The Grand Prime only has 8GB of internal storage. After the OS and built in apps, it's probably around 5GB or less user available. The Galaxy S2 was a flagship at its time of release and had 16GB of internal storage. Also, Lollipop was more restrictive on saving apps to the SD card. Marshmallow restored more of its functionality. This is probably why you're having trouble making space on your phone. I think you are better off taking a phone with at least 16GB of internal storage to make it on par with what you were upgrading from.
Yes, Mitchell, it's only 8GB on the device itself. My point is I want to keep all this stuff on the SD card but I can't because a lot of what's on there can't be transferred over. 
Jonathan, you've confirmed my suspicions. I had not realized my S2 had 16GB but makes sense now in hindsight. I don't need a lot but it'd be nice if I had something at least comparable to the S2. 
I don't know what Lollipop or Marshmallow means but I hear what you are saying about making it on par. I would at least think that my new phone can do a little bit more than my old phone. I'm paying for it so I want to download all the apps that the S2 couldn't support near the end of it's life. Thanks for your help!
Userlevel 7
Lollipop and Marshmallow are Android versions. Lollipop covers 5.0 to 5.1.1, and then Google made a bigger release to 6.0 and now 6.0.1. Lollipop broke a lot of saving apps to SD functionality and Marshmallow restored some of it. The Grand Prime is a lower end model, however, and will either not receive many updates at all or it will take a longer time for them to come out. There's better phones for the money than the Grand Prime. If you're within the 15 day return period, I would exchange it for something else. You might have to go up in size and budget, though. Whats your budget for the Tab?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

Lollipop and Marshmallow are Android versions. Lollipop covers 5.0 to 5.1.1, and then Google made...

Every new issue of Android has its... issues! A lot of stuff that worked previously on 4.4 doesn't now with the stagefright fix. And the older phones affected won't be upgraded anytime soon, obviously for marketing reasons.

Let us know what your constraints are. I am eager to hear what comments Jonathan has to offer. The way forward is often not clear, but he's certainly better informed than most.
I've done a bit of research since reading your last post. This post is very helpful too! I was looking at the LG G3 in fact. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pay a bit more per month but I think it's inevitable. I wish I had this information when I went phone shopping on Saturday but that's experience for you (it's been 4 days; I am indeed within the 15 day return period but the salesperson told me 30 days, good thing I checked huh?)
I'm only leaning towards the LG because I've never even heard of HTC M8. If you have even more good things to say about this phone, now is the time to speak up!
Badge +4
Anne Lacelle Busing wrote:

I've done a bit of research since reading your last post. This post is very helpful too! I was lo...

Here's a side by side comparison of the two devices. I like HTC and own the One M8 and One M9, but that's just me. The only downside to LG is that Android updates/upgrades seem to take longer to get to devices compared to other phones out there. http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6074&idPhone2=6294
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Anne Lacelle Busing wrote:

I've done a bit of research since reading your last post. This post is very helpful too! I was lo...

I personally never buy a phone because of what updates *may* be coming in the future. If it doesn't meet my needs at the time of purchase, it'll get a pass from me.
Userlevel 7
The M8 has better build quality, speakers, screen quality, front facing camera, and software (last one is subjective). The G3 has a bigger screen, removable battery, and better rear camera. Both have the same processor and generally similar battery life. I owned both phones for a while and they're both good at different things. I'd lean more towards the M8. See if they have a demo or something you can try out.
I returned the Grand Prime and went with the M8. It was very easy for them to do. Apparently I got the last one. I'm very excited about it.  Thanks for your help everyone, Jonathan especially. 
galaxy grand prime+  SM-G532F LTEthis phone have 8 Gb Rom,,but 4.5 GB is for android marshmallow 6.0.1
..and remaining 3.5 Gb i shown to be for user,,specially when connect to PC..but actually its not true,,all those space is for bloatware and preinstalled Samsung and google application,,,actually only about 500 Mb is left for user to put application,,,(only just 500 Mb !!!!!!),,if you dont believe test a new Grand prime plus phone with marshmallow 6.0.1..See how space is free from phone before installing any application!!!
Samsung company is deceiving people,,,especialy they hide the storage option in setting menue in marshmallow 6.0.1,,,they dont want from customers to know that only 500 Mb is present for user(for whatsapp photo,,facebook saves,,ringtoones,,applications )...only about 500 Mb!!!!!,,space will run out in one week
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rock Chik wrote:

galaxy grand prime+  SM-G532F LTEthis phone have 8 Gb Rom,,but 4.5 GB is for android marshma...

Could you go to the storage section in your settings where it splits everything up into how many GB are being used in each area and take a screenshot?
Rock Chik wrote:

galaxy grand prime+  SM-G532F LTEthis phone have 8 Gb Rom,,but 4.5 GB is for android marshma...

i do have the same shit running here....but I got 1.1 gb left ....I don't where the fuck is my rest; in total 3.5gb
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rock Chik wrote:

It's likely for android as mentioned above. You can see a breakdown of everything in the storage section of your settings.